Possible to freeze buffalo mozzarella?

Kkma

Does anybody know if this would work? It's 2 quid in Tesco at the moment, down from 3, and I don't know if it's a special offer or a permanent price cut so I'd like to stock up on a few anyway. For anybody who is wondering why I don't just buy the 59 cent one, buffalo mozzarella is not from cow's milk and therefore has no lactose. I'm sure it has something else but anyway....

here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffalo_mozzarella
is mozzarella from water buffalo milk instead of your "standard" cow's milk.
interesting to hear about the lactose - as far as I know water buffalo milk has around the same lactose content as cows milk ( 4.7 something % or so).
Mozzarella cheese seems to be low on lactose due to the manufacturing process, interesting enough!

Anyway - on the OP's question: you can, but take it out of the liquid. It loses some of its texture however (gets more "crumbly" over time).

Iv always heard as a rule, never freeze fat or dairy. However my MIL freezes "everything" and always find her milk verging on sour to the point it does often curdle on hitting the tea!!!! Her butter def has separated.

I did freeze rashers once as an experiment and wouldn't recommend the results.

However I know someone who buys grated cheese in large amounts from cash and carry and portions it and freezes it. Never tasted it.

You could buy one and experiment.

Kkma Pleas enlighten me (and possible a few more posters) as to what is buffalo mozzarella ??

I think most people know what it is and it is delicious sliced along with tomato sliced and some basil and olive oil drizzled over it.

I've never done it, but if it was cut into slices & frozen I'd say it'd be ok for things like pizza (frozen pizza's!!) - eating it just on it's own I wouldn't be sure.

Thanks everyone for the replies!
@ newirishman - yes it's something to do with the manufacturing process - the lactose is converted into lactic acid or something more tolerable anyway! will have a go at freezing it and will let everyone know how it goes.
@ Harry31 It's mainly for cooking I use it anyway, my little lad has a wheat/gluten allergy/intolerance or coeliac disease with a secondary dairy intolernace- gluten free, low lactose lasagne/pizza anyone? The lasagne actually turns out ok!
Thanks again everyone!

I freeze it and use it for pizzas, not a big cheese fan so wouldn't be eating it on its own anyway so don't if it would work okay for that.

I did freeze rashers once as an experiment and wouldn't recommend the results.

:confused:

I have frozen rashers (uncooked, just home from the supermarket) for longer than I can remember with no discernible calamities. Why would you not recommend doing so?

I think most people know what it is and it is delicious sliced along with tomato sliced and some basil and olive oil drizzled over it.

Dont forget a touch of freshly ground black pepper ;)

Insalata Caprese

I freeze it in the packet and it defrosts perfectly. Nothing wrong with freezing fat, dairy, bacon, etc as long as you exclude air so it does not dry out.

For those of you who are trying to economise in the current climate, I advise shopping in the Tesco/Dunnes/Supervalue...etc. reduced to clear sections. We have got wonderful good sliced meats, fish, quiches, pizzas, and lots of other goodies, brought them home and frozen them. We've thawed, cooked and eaten them - with no bad health effects. Obviously SBD (sell by date) is important, but I think we've taken food safety over the top and luckily for pensioners like us, we can gain the advantage. We don't even wear balaclavas or hoodies in case we are recognised - we just head straight for the reduced to clear section. I appreciate that there are people with food allergies, luckily, like probably 95% of the population, we don't have any.

Can mince meat be frozen? It's one thing that I haven't done but I have been tempted to on occasions.

Yes, Bronco Lane, we've frozen both beef and pork mince many times - and then cooked it when required. I have to speak for my hubby when I say there's never been a problem (I'm a vegetarian!) but he's still hale and hearty.

Back