Possible to claim re: travel to & from work by Public Transport?

Lynnie

Hi folks,

I've been told that it's possible to make a claim in respect of travel expenses incurred in the course of getting to & from work if you live more than a particular distance away from your workplace/use public transport..? I understand that there are allowances if travelling to a 2nd place of work away from where you're usually based or travelling on company business but I'd never heard of the aforementioned possibility until recently.

Sorry to be so vague but as you can no doubt tell this is some seriously anecdotal stuff; just hoping someone here might be able to clarify the issue for me as I've been going through www.revenue.ie and previous posts here but couldn't track down anything relevant to this particular issue [although it could be around & I missed it. Or it might just have been imagined by the bloke who told me!]

Any & all help very gratefully received :eek:

Re: Possible to claim re: travel to & from work?

As far as I know, it's not possible to claim tax relief in respect of travel expenses incurred in the course of getting to and from your 'normal' place of work. You can be reimbursed by your employer for travel expenses incurred in the line of your work duties — business trips, visiting clients, attending conferences, etc. — and such expenses are not subject to income tax. But I don't think many employers will reimburse you for travelling to and from your workplace; indeed, many of my own newer colleagues had to sign contracts which contained a clause stipulating that they must 'ordinarily reside' within 12 miles of the workplace.

However, I'm open to correction! :)

Re: Possible to claim re: travel to & from work?

In line with current EMS's (environmental management systems - ISO14001) a lot of employers are allowing staff to purchase long term travel tickets (monthly/yearly etc.) directly through payroll, allowing you this purchase to avail of tax benefits.

Its not all to well advertised but I'd guess that's mostly due to a lack of understanding....

"In Ireland, a tax concession for employer-provided public transport tickets purchased from a licensed passenger transport service was made under the 1999 Finance Act. Benefits in kind by way of monthly or annual bus and rail passes were exempted, subject to an annual limit of €884"

If you skip along to appendix 4 it goes through it as clearly as I've come across.

Thanks a mil for that - I had a sneaky suspicion that it sounded too good to be true!!

Back