Possible to build over a drain cover?

Salvadore

I'm considering building an extension to the rear of my house and am giving my creativity full freedom!

As in most properties, the main waste water/sewage pipe for the block of houses runs across the rear gardens before being fed in to the main pipe underneath the street. There is a drain cover in each garden that allows access to the pipe for emergency purposes or to deal with blockages etc

I am told it would be difficult to get planning permission for any permanent structure that sought to remove access to the drain cover. The only alternative would be to re-route the main pipes in buried in the garden and that this would involve considerable cost.

Any truth in this?

First thing you have to determine is whether its a private system or public system. Public system will have wayleaves attached to it.
If private, you can build over, but you must provide access to the pipework elsewhere, this usually involves re-routing some of the pipe outside the extension to allow access for rodding, unblocking etc

Thanks for the replies.

The drain is for both water and sewage. It runs along the back of the properties, immediately outside the kitchen door. The same pipe serves about six or seven houses before being directed into the main pipe in the street. My house is the middle of these.

Thanks for the replies.

The drain is for both water and sewage. It runs along the back of the properties, immediately outside the kitchen door. The same pipe serves about six or seven houses before being directed into the main pipe in the street. My house is the middle of these.

Still possible. Very common construction detail.
You should engage an Engineer to design and advise on the re-routing of the pipe work while still allowing access for rodding etc

Back