Possible to block the Corona Virus forum from Unread Posts?

Zenith63

I tend to check 'Unread Post' once a day, it's a great way of catching up on new threads. It's a little polluted with Coronavirus threads the last few days though, so I'm just wondering if there's a way to filter those out for me as an individual user?

Or possibly it should be done at the site level (as I think some of the other forums are not included?) and if you want to read about Coronavirus, you can go into that forum specifically? Most of the threads are not money/consumer related and seeing a full page of Coronavirus threads doesn't really help in containing the panic some people are feeling about this situation :).

Thoughts?

Sports news was my refuge from virus talk but even that is no longer the case... think I'll resort to getting Encyclopedia Britannica out of storage and live in the past a little*.

*Measure in place until 29 March and kept under review.

Just go into the Corona Virus Forum
If you are logged in, the ones you have not read will be in bold. The ones you have read will be not bold.

I would prefer if the corona virus forum was re-included in 'unread' which is also how I access aam content, can you do a poll to see what people prefer and enact that ?

Same here, prefer it was included in the unread posts. It would be just as easy for people to ignore them in the unread posts, takes a bit more effort to check the unread posts now and then navigate back and go into the corono virus forum.

A poll is a good idea.

When I made this post yesterday the whole first page of Unread Posts were Corona Virus related with the exception of maybe one or two threads. There are umpteen other places you can go to get your dose of Corona Virus discussions, there's only really one where you can go to get a bit of Irish finance/money-matters/consumer-issues.

I also don't think it's socially responsible to encourage too many areas of our lives to be dominated by something like this, heigtening the sense of panic. Facebook and Twitter are doing enough damage without piling more sources on top.

What I think probably would be reasonable is to allow topics that are related to both a forum's purpose and Corona Virus to exist in that forum, rather than in the Corona Virus forum. So for example this stuff about mortgage providers allowing payments to be paused while the crisis continues; totally justifiable for a topic like this to be in the Mortgage Arrears forum and thus appear on the Unread Posts feed. Heck I want to see threads like that when I come to a money forum. What I have no interest in seeing are threads about the number of new cases today, whether kids should be able to play in the street etc. in that feed.

Last edited:
While I would prefer if they appear, totally understand that focus of the site is ask about money and people dont want to be flooded with posts about its non financial aspects.

If someone wants to ignore the corona virus discussion, it's not possible if all the threads on New Posts are coronavirus threads. Interesting posts get overlooked in the coronavirus discussion or get bumped to page 2

If someone wants to see the latest Coronavirus posts,it's very easy. Just click on that forum.

Brendan

I would prefer if the corona virus forum was re-included in 'unread' which is also how I access aam content, can you do a poll to see what people prefer and enact that ?

I use the site in the same way.. Similar concept to for example TheJournal mobile site - latest news at the top, scroll down past what you do not want to read. Thats why that is so popular.
If a user wants to drill into a particular category, then they can do so.
Are many other categories of posts excluded from the main unread feed?
I am now developing FOMO :)

Last edited:
Ok.. they are general, off topic discussions.. I can work around this myself, but still think it should be in the main feed all things considered.

I also think the default font should be wingdings :)

Back