Possible Budgets measures to boost car sales

Lockup

Not sure what the government might do. I am thinking of getting a new car but wondering if the government with incentives for the punter with extra scrappage deals etc. Guesses on a postcard please

Yeah, the most likely move is to further incentivise low or zero emissions options through increases in carbon tax and perhaps VRT.

I imagine there will be a token measure taken to further incentivise electric vehicles.
This will probably be offset by increased taxes and disincentives on fossil-fuel vehicles.

Given that petrol/diesel prices are relatively low it’s an easy target for a tax increase (it can be wrapped in a “green” measure). As you say there may be a token gesture re electric vehicles.

I'd love to work in a sector that could go whinging to the government with a begging bowl whenever times were hard.

Given that petrol/diesel prices are relatively low it’s an easy target for a tax increase

You're underestimating the influence of the haulage lobby. Increased taxation on fuel is the only way to really make the polluter pay rather than our current approach based on your potential to pollute. Although it has been spoken about for years they have very effectively lobbied against it.

Back