Possession of a controlled substance

N

noiniho

At the indiependance festival in Cork at the weekend i was caught with three amphetamine XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX in my possession, they were for my own use. i cooperated fully with the Gardai giving all my details etc immediately.
I am not a regular drug user and admittedly have dabbled previously at the electric picnic etc but never in normal situations.
i am thirty years of age have never been in any trouble before of any kind.

I really have no idea what i am after getting myself into too, does possession of a schedule 1 drug result in a prison sentence?

i realise what i did was illegal and i am willing to accept full responsibility for it. i now want to find a solicitor from the area (mitchelstown), should i just ring around solicitors in the area?

There was some site launched by the courts services on Monday I think which gives details on convictions, sentencing etc which is fully open to the public. Saw it on the news, but can't remember the name of the site.....sure a quick google will show you and maybe let you see what your facing.

Did the Garda say he was going to bring you before the courts, I am no expert on the matter, but I thought if it was for a small amount and clearly for personal use they only give a warning, I have no time for drugs or people that take them but it seem a bit harsh to drag you through the courts system, in any case I would expect a donation to a charity of the judges choice, I wouldn't bother with a brief, when your case is called just admit your mistake and say sorry it was a one off, and they will know your record before you set foot in the place, if what you say in your post is all the facts you will be fine

Get a good reputable solicitor in the area who knows the Gardai and the Judge. Make sure you dress well on the day and make sure ou are in Court on time. Give the solicitor all details about your clean record, work, obligations and good deeds. Make sure you chat to the solicitor before the day so he/she gets a feel for you. Emphasise if you may need to travel abroad for work or to emigrate or for other important reasons.

Make sure the solicitor talks to the Gardai beforehand to make your case to them and to see what their attitude is. Make sure you have a lump of cash to bring to the court on the day in case a contribution is acceptable to the Court.

You need to make sure they don't mix you up with some other joker who gave them lip on the day. Make sure your solicitor reminds them of how co-operative you were.

It is possible the Gardai will have done a good few people at the concert and the Judge will be flying through them. If that is the case you may be treated ok.

Back