Positive input Ventilation ( PIV ) Beam - Mould issues

Greenbean

Hi , We have issues with condensation on windows and mould in corners of rooms in our 90s built house - we have had the cavity walls dry lined and pumped over the past few years and I'm trying to improve attic insulation - so the problem seems to with the ventilation .

We had a quote of 3k from Beam for Positive Input Ventilation and Mechanical Extract Ventilation ( PIV MEV ) to solve the issue ( they also quoted 10k for MVHR which is way outside our budget )
Just wondering has anyone had experience with a system like this and with BEAM generally - does this type of system work ? Is there an issue with cooler air coming in during winter ?

Any feedback would be great , thanks

First point, the 'cooler air coming in during winter' is the main purpose of ventilation and which helps eliminate the conditions which allow mould to thrive.
Second point, I've no idea what a PIV and MEV system is! It is normally one or the other with MEV being superior imo. Any chance of giving a product link?
Third point, 3k seems on the high side but can depend on house layout etc.

We've an older house with deep retrofit ATW with PIV and no MEV.
System seems to me to work really well. The house isnt 100% airtight so the postive pressure helps in general. No mould, when it's below a certain temp PIV shuts down so doesn't impact the heating hugely from our experience.

Hi Micks'r , thanks for response. I have attached link - https://www.beamcentralsystems.com/mechanical-ventilation
My v basic understanding is that 2 systems complement each other - the MEV extracts the moisture laden air from the house and the PIV bring in the fresh air .
It's a 90s bungalow so layout should be reasonably straightforward
Ha, very good sales person ... sell two systems when one will do fine.
My advice is to go with the MEV system and get more quotes.

We've an older house with deep retrofit ATW with PIV and no MEV.
System seems to me to work really well. The house isnt 100% airtight so the postive pressure helps in general. No mould, when it's below a certain temp PIV shuts down so doesn't impact the heating hugely from our experience.
Hi Stovesoot. Thanks for your response. Sounds like ye got a good result What company did ye use ? Roughly how much did the PIV cost to install ? Thanks

Hi Stovesoot. Thanks for your response. Sounds like ye got a good result What company did ye use ? Roughly how much did the PIV cost to install ? Thanks
Work was done by previous owners but it was the same beam systems linked above, as I've got the filters from them since.
Not sure how it's so expensive for a bungalow as there'd be very little ducting, unless attic is converted

Back