Positioning of switch for electric shower

rebeller

Hi, I have contacted an electrician to do the wiring prior to the installation of a triton t90 electric shower (tank fed). The house has not been pre-wired for an electric shower which means a switch will have to be installed as part of the job. When asked whether he would have to install a switch outside the bathroom door the electrician advised that the power switch for the shower has to be a ceiling mounted pull-cord switch within easy reach of the shower itself so that if a problem occurs while showering the person can pull the cord to cut off the power. This seems logical to me although the only houses in which I have come across such pull-cord switches are old pre 1980 structures. Any modern house I have been in seems to have a wall mounted cooker type switch on the wall. However, the installation manual for the shower unit itself clearly states that the switch must be "out of reach of a person using a fixed bath or shower...and should be placed so that it is not possible to touch the switch body while standing in a bath or shower cubicle". The electrician claims that new regulations require positioning within arms reach. I am confused:-( Installing a ceiling pull-cord switch will be easier for the electrician as all he has to do is bring the wire through ceiling; wall mounted switch would require extensive drilling of wall. Is what he has said correct or is he simply trying to get me to agree to substandard work so that he can get paid the same amount for less labour? I don't want to doubt the expertise of a qualified professional but at the same time I know that there are cowboys out there! Any thoughts/suggestions/advice would be appreciated. Thanks Rebeller

Wallmounted or pullcord outside bathroom. Pullcord only inside. It'll probably be the easiest solution all around (cost and making good) if fitted on ceiling, but unless regs have changed of recent, a wallmounted outside one is acceptable.

Well as a "sparks" of over 20 yrs exp.IMHO the best solution is a pull cord switch sited within arms reach of the shower.This DOES give that little extra safety buffer, ie,any probs with insulation,current leakage etc.

Pull cord s/w inside bathroom is the way to go. He's not trying to con you....

Thanks for all the replies. I'm new to all this so and have heard all the horror stories from friends and acquaintances about questionable workmanship.

However, relating to the original question which wasn't about opinions or best-practice;

The electrician claims that new regulations require positioning within arms reach.

False.

If memory serves me well,2.25 metres from the floor 600 mm from the shower tray.i think it can be closer but only above 3 metres,not many ceilings 3 metre or more.

Back