Porsche or Z4

I have driven 911 C4 in the wet and never want to do it again . Why not just buy a 4WD supercar like Audi RS4 or M3 or something that works in this country .
Porches are just for image in this country , cant really get the best out of them here.

Why not just buy a 4WD supercar like Audi RS4 or M3

4wd M3 ???? really ?

Would a Boxster S not be a nice compromise ?
You'll get the drop top of the Beemer, coupled with the sounds and the handling of the 911, without the costs of ownership I think the 911 will bring, thats why the Boxster was made.

Its also a real porsche which other baby porsches were argueable not.

911 is in a different league ok but so will runnning costs be.

I have driven 911 C4 in the wet and never want to do it again . Why not just buy a 4WD supercar like Audi RS4 or M3 or something that works in this country .
Porches are just for image in this country , cant really get the best out of them here.
Agreed. An RS4 would be a great option and practical too!

Audi RS4 is sweet but not many people know its a great car...

i think our man here wants a car that looks cool and good performance

can I throw the maxda RX-8 into the mix here. Might not be the premium brand name that you're looking for but it's a fantastic car. I looked around at this market myself but couldn't beat the 8 for it's combination of performance, styling and practicality. Try and you'll see what I mean. The grin comes free as well :>)

Have a look at the Honda S2000 as an alternative to the Porsche Boxter or Z4. Beautiful motor IMO.

Should give the M3 a go, it's an unbeleivable car, performance wise, it gives the 911 a serious run for its money...it handles better on irish roads and is tigher around corners...
911 is hard to drive well...driven one a few times and found it very light on the wheel...

if your thinking of the 911, then you got to take a look at amartin db9, no that is a car out of this world, ridiculusuly expensive,but would simply love to get the keys of one.

For pure fun, and a hell of a alot cheaper than either 911 or m3 or amartin is the lotus elise, well worth a test drive!

Let's face it Brianp, you say you've now the financial means to go for the car of your choice. You've also said that you could opt for a Z4,but as you put it, it's no porsche. This is very much a case of heart verses mind. Let's face it, nobody drives any of their cars to their full potential unless their on the run from the cops or want to be. You are looking to get the car for the wow factor, to be looked up at by your peers maybe. Maybe you should be thinking...if I buy a Z4 and then see a porsche pull up beside me, how would I feel...would I feel I wish I bought the porsche, or would you think I'm so glad I'm driving the Z4.
If it were me anyway, I'd go for the Porsche Cayman or the new Audi TT.

What kinda drive are you looking for ? Is it a cruise/posemobile for slow, top-down driving around the town or a real feeling of driving with looks being a bonus ?
The sound of the Porsche engine is amazing on full throttle but the Z4 3.0 is soooo smooth (and I personally love the sound of straight 6's). 911's are reliable...prob more so than the Z4 but as it's so new, it's hard to compare.
S2000 and RX8 are well up my list of faves too but the engines are so unrefined compared to the more premium ones above. RX8 needs to be caned to 10 million RPM and the S2000(brilliant engine that it has) still has to be revved hard...no fun if you just wanna relaxing drive with the lady.

Current S4 or M3 ? S4 wins UNTIL the new M3 appears.

How about getting an E39 M5. Luxurious car that goes like stink with the best engine in the world. Second Hand values aren't that bad either...

What's your budget anyway???

Boxster = girly
Z4 = plain bad...suspension is supposed to be awful!
S2000 = great...but not in the same league

The sensible decision of course (if you can afford it) is a 911. I wouldn't even dream of comparing a Z4 with a 911!!

Hi Gabriel,

you say that a Boxster is a girlie car..............can you tell me what car you drive?!

Is it jealousy or do you drive a 911?

Gabriel is a girlie name..................are you male??!!!

Lotus Elise? far, far to flashy . Its mainly for poeple who want to buy a sports car but cant realy afford the real thing? maybe im wrong .

Wrong - very wrong - the lotus is probably the most pure sports car you can buy today.
The lotus is bought by people who know about cars, not badges...

Hi Gabriel,

you say that a Boxster is a girlie car..............can you tell me what car you drive?!

Is it jealousy or do you drive a 911?

Gabriel is a girlie name..................are you male??!!!

Grow up.

Brianp, The old 911 might break your heart but while I am a big fan of BMW I would not buy a Z4. The 330 or M3 are better cars to drive. The Honda is also good but none of them are in the same class as a 911. If you don't buy one you will spend nearly as much money on something else and always think of the "what if".

In order of preference...

Alfa 159
Boxster
TT
Z4

Okay, I'd probably prefer the 911 to a 159, but seeing as I've 3 kids under 10 (& a wife) that aint an opion! :)

Good luck, and agree with the above - Criminal to mention a Z4 in same sentence as a 911.

I suspect the OP may long since have made their mind up - check out the date of that post.

For what it's worth, and as someone who's had the pleasure of owning both a BMW and a Porsche, there is simply no comparison: the Porsche is in a different league. If you want something special, it's the one to go for.

Another vote for the Porsche!
Ive ran a boxster S for the last 3 years and have found it to be excellent. So much so my next step is to buy one privately in the U.k (2005), run it for a year with a full Porsche warranty and once I know its a good un' take it to Techart in Liverpool to add a few engine modifications- therefore getting 911 pace with a boxsters handling abilty.

Other cars you have mentioned
911- have driven one and would not have a 911 cabriolet over a new 3.4L boxster S, not worth the price differential, front end of the 911 felt very bobbly over rough roads.

Honda S2000, very high reving engine which is fine for a while but tended to annoy me after a while. Indeed a S2000 would give an older 2.7 boxster a run for its money pace wise, but is well behind a newer 3.2 boxster S (280 bhp) or a newer again 3.4 boxster S (295 bhp).

Z4, havent driven one but I wouldnt have one over a boxster S

M3 definately worth a look if you needed the space of a four seater.

All in all best of luck with any prospective purchase

You only live once. Porsche all the way, a proper sports car. If it does'nt work out then just sell it and get a Z4. Not the end of the world.

The Z4's suspension is vicious. It would knock fillings from yer head. Great car to drive. Awful to be a passenger in.

Back