Pop Up Restaurant in own home.

TrundleAlong

Can I open a pop up restaurant in my own home? Suburban Dublin housing estate.

Do I need a licence from the local council?

Do my kitchens need to be inspected by the relevant authority?

Can I serve alcohol as part of the cost of the meal?

Can my customers park outside on the public road?

Thanks

Are you charging people? Lots to consider, public liability insurance, your home insurance maybe voided etc.

. . also, annoying your neighbours . . would people actually frequent a pop-up restaurant in someone's kitchen in a housing estate?

The only way I believe this is workable is if there are no charges applied whatsoever. Once you get into charging people, along with the insurance issues you get into all kinds of red tape around planning requirements, you must have a licence to sell alcohol, you must comply with all food safety legislation (pretty much impossible in most domestic settings) and you even need two permits if you want to play background music.

If you're charging you're screwed, too many rules, correctly so obviously but would make it impossible to charge.

Thanks for the replies. It is my neighbour that is doing it. I'm not sure how he and his wife are getting away with it. They even have reviews up on Yelp.

If you've got a Donegal accent you'd never know who might decide to join you in the venture.
Apart from that, I'm pretty certain that if you live in the real world you know the answer to your question already and, if you don't? Then I worry about you:(

I expect that's a breach of planning as I assume the property is residential only.
Take a copy of the ads \ reviews before they get taken down if you do complain.

Can I open a pop up restaurant in my own home? Suburban Dublin housing estate.

Do I need a licence from the local council?

Do my kitchens need to be inspected by the relevant authority?

Can I serve alcohol as part of the cost of the meal?

Can my customers park outside on the public road?

Thanks

How often do they serve meals? Is it monthly? Weekly? Daily?

What about them doing this is bothering you? Did you get food poisoning from a meal there?

Anyone can park on a public road - the clue is in the title.

My wife went to one of these with her girlfriends a few months ago, they loved it. It was quite popular in London a few years ago, and a number of "home" chefs ended up opening up official restaurants.

I don't think people tend to do this to get around planning issues as the numbers involved are usually very small and the frequency of nights is limited, I do think it's genuinely done by people trying their hand at the restaurant game without the overheads and seeing if they can do it and enjoy it.

How often do they serve meals? Is it monthly? Weekly? Daily?

What about them doing this is bothering you? Did you get food poisoning from a meal there?

I don't think people tend to do this to get around planning issues as the numbers involved are usually very small and the frequency of nights is limited, I do think it's genuinely done by people trying their hand at the restaurant game without the overheads and seeing if they can do it and enjoy it.

I guess they are probably frustrated living next a commercial business masequerading as a house!!

I guess they are probably frustrated living next a commercial business masequerading as a house!!
That's why I asked about the frequency of events. What's the difference between someone hosting a dinner party once a month and people paying to eat a meal in the house once a month?

Back