Poor handling bmw 330d

trevork

I bought a 04 330d about 6 months ago. I quickly noticed that the car was pulling to the left, and that the steering was twitchy on bumpy surfaces. I brought it back to the dealer, who sent it to a prominent franchised bmw dealer in Northern ireland. They realigned the wheels, but said otherwise the car was fine. They said it was a trait of this car to follow the camber of the road. A few months later I brought the car in for a service to a different franchised dealer, who found that there were bushings which needed replacing and a warped brake disc on the front passenger wheel.

I am due to replace the tyres, and I was wondering if anybody can suggest alternatives to bridgestones to improve the handling of the car. Also, whether any other bmw drivers have noticed similar handling problems.

... A few months later I brought the car in for a service to a different franchised dealer, who found that there were bushings which needed replacing ...
Very possible after 4 years
... and a warped brake disc ...
I find that much harder to believe, even if someone dropped the car onto the disc with the front wheel off.
... I am due to replace the tyres, and I was wondering if anybody can suggest alternatives to bridgestones to improve the handling of the car. ...
In general, you can't improve a poorly handling car by simply changing the tyres. Handling depends on multiple factors including -

1. Replacing the worn front and rear suspension bushes & steering bushes (a good place to start)
  2. Checking and replacing worn / damaged suspension or steering components (struts, springs, steering arms, bearings, steering box)
  3. Checking for damaged or bent wheels, damaged or worn wheel hubs, wheel bearings
  4. A proper suspension and steering geometry alignment (not tracking and alignment as offered in this country)
  5. Simple things like correct tyre pressures, having the tyres on the correct side of the car, and on and on.

All that aside, the following tyres will I believe offer you some improvement over the Bridgestones, assuming everything else is OK - Goodyear F1 GSD3 Eagles, Yokohama AS430s, Toyo T1Rs. I have used them all (and others) and avoid Bridgestone, Firestone, Dunlop, Falken, Continental, Pirelli, but that could be just personal preference or even prejudice.

You would know if you have a warped brake disc when you press the brake, you will have a vibration in the steering. It happens because of over heating or wear. You will only notice it when you brake not during normal driving

Regards

Dinny

thanks for the very informative feedback . I will ask about prices for the tyres you listed mathepac. I was quoted over €800 for the bridgestones.
A vibrating of the steering was exactly what i was getting on braking, was very unnerving, never knew which hedge i might end up in. luckily enough bmw paid for the new disc. not impressed by my first bmw, should have test drived an audi for comparison.

Aren't BMW supposed to be renowned for their handling? :confused:

Jaysus I'd be highly miffed if I'd paid the money and found the car lacking in this department!

Aren't BMW supposed to be renowned for their handling? :confused:

Jaysus I'd be highly miffed if I'd paid the money and found the car lacking in this department!

Don't you mean lack of handling for the normal motorist, unless its 4wd.

There supposed to be renowned for their quality.

I've had a few 320d and they all followed the camber of the road, but it never bothered me once i got used to it, front bushes go around 80k and would agree with the goodyear F1 tyres, they're brilliant. It sounds like somethings bent in the suspension if it's that bad, good car hope it works out for you.

Back