Poland

TimothyC

Hi all,

It's been a while since I posted here.

I'm making an effort to get AAP going again but this time focussing only on Poland. This is the country I'm interested in and hence I will have the enthusiasm to gather and share any information I could across - as opposed to focussing on several countries.

Kind regards,

Timothyc
www.askaboutproperty.com

I am currently looking at Poland, Krakow looks good at this point in time

I`d imagine it would be freezing in krakow in the winter.
It has a big beautiful square but i don`t think that the population of the city is as big as dublin for example.
There are many students....but can`t afford big rents.It seems the main market is rich western tourists who can meander around the main sq and its environs
The buyers are hoping for capital appreciation and may already have missed the boat.

A wet week in Krakow is not much fun, imho. Not a whole lot of money around. You only have to walk 200 yards from Wawel Castle to find derelict, closed-up business premises - not a great sign...

Closed down shops do not necessarily mean
that a town is in financial trouble.

As soon as the out of town supermarkets and
DIY superstores start up, it is the kiss of
death for most of these Mom and Pop stores.
The lure of Tescos, multi-plex cinemas and
bowling alleys is hard to resist it

The worst thing about Krakow is the smog
and the winters can be utterly fearful.
Sufferers of Seasonal Affected Disorder beware

Closed down shops do not necessarily mean that a town is in financial trouble.

Possibly, but I was struck by the contrast in this regard between Krakow and other prominent Central European cities such as Prague or Berlin where I did not see the same extent of dereliction. Krakow is not exactly awash with out-of-town shopping centres either - the much-trumpeted place in Kazimirez/Podgordze (spell?) is very harmless,

I think you are looking to narrowly at the city. If a town is running at 50 - 100% in a year it will not go to zero the following year!! If there is a slow down it still leaves great growth. There are other cities in Poland with great potential. Wroclaw and Poznan for example. I am involved in developments in Poznan and know there has been great growth to date and feel there is plenty more in the tank. The effect of the changes in attitude in the banks is a very positive, the interest rate hikes has the same effect here as all over the EU so there are positives and negatives but the bigger picture I feel is good for the short to mid term investor.

whats your guys thoughts on the prices of new apartment developments as opposed to secondary market in the main cities. from some of the property sites Ive looked seems that new apartments are substantially more expensive. I know there are obvious reasons, better construction etc, but are these new apartments incrasing in value at the rates you mention? Is there a resale market and can the local polish people afford these new aprtmenst or is all foreign investors?

Why not buy some suitable housing near the factory that proctor and gamble are going to build in poland. First you have construction workers and then factory workers....maybe even some relocated irish...who may be willing to pay a paddy price..thank you god!:)

Lodz is a very industrial city. I'd say that it would be hard to manage a property there or to know what you are buying into - therefore even though prices are cheaper, the risk could be greater. That said, Lodz is on a main transportation artery and development will happen as a result. I put a question on www.askaboutproperty.com early asking in what sector will this development materialise. Only time will tell I guess.

Back