Poland and the EU

Purple

Will Poland leave the EU?
Given the concerted efforts by their current government to subvert the pillars of the free country it seems that they are heading that way.

No.

Reason no 1. Access to single market. They've seen the Brexit movie.

Reason no 2. Defence. They are VERY wary of Russia.

No.

Reason no 1. Access to single market. They've seen the Brexit movie.

Reason no 2. Defence. They are VERY wary of Russia.
They are in breach of EU law and directly challenging the authority of the Court of Justice of the EU.
There'll be a confrontation at some stage soon.

They are in breach of EU law and directly challenging the authority of the Court of Justice of the EU.
Both sides would be foolish to push it though, to be honest I think there is less appetite among many countries now for the over arching power of the European court , this was also a big theme around the brexit debate.

I just think the fundamental weakness of the union is that it has no military power to enforce its laws anyway, they can't send out the EU police force to go and arrest the Polish politicians or polish judges

Look, they're just throwing shapes. They know very well they've had huge benefits from EU membership - that's something that Britain never quite got its head around - and there's no appetite for a 'Plexit.'

Yeah, they might like to take an independent line against them ones over in Brussels - it's about as convincing as the Healy-Rae's yakking on about them ones up in Dublin. Nothing like an external antagonist - even if you have to create an imaginary one!

Both sides would be foolish to push it though, to be honest I think there is less appetite among many countries now for the over arching power of the European court , this was also a big theme around the brexit debate.

I just think the fundamental weakness of the union is that it has no military power to enforce its laws anyway, they can't send out the EU police force to go and arrest the Polish politicians or polish judges
Without a court to decide if members are abiding by the Treaties those members have signed there is no EU. It’s that simple.
Poland is already well on the way to being a Russian style‘Democracy’. The government controls the Judiciary and much of the media. I think it’s potentially a bigger threat to the EU than Brexit

Its a high stakes game alright, I don't particularly like the Polish prime minister , very sinister and militaristic looking and young therefore I can't see him backing down, definitely not healy rae material.
At least Boris Johnson and the brexiteers had some charm and guile , this polish guy is totally different like something out of the communist era with big black coat, spectacles and no smile

the problem is that there is now a precedent for a national court namely the German court over ruling the European court in relation to bond buying last year, ruling that the European court had exceeded its judicial mandate

the problem is that there is now a precedent for a national court namely the German court over ruling the European court in relation to bond buying last year, ruling that the European court had exceeded its judicial mandate
Yes, I was surprised that wasn't a bigger story at the time.

Back