Health Insurance PMI 35 13 renewal but looking for more orthopaedic

Janey4tune

Hi,

My PMI 35/13 is up for renewal soon, VHI have suggested company plan extra level 1 as a similar plan with little or no excess and better day to day which I use a lot of. It’s €500 extra @ 2K. I’m likely to need a knee replacement in the next few years and Consultant is Santry or Blackrock. I’m not sure if Blackrock will still waive some fees, also need decent cardiac cover. Anyone any thoughts, would prefer to stay with VHI…

I appreciate you'd prefer to stay with VHI and I could be wrong, but I'm not aware of any VHI plans which have 100% cover for ortho procedures such as knee replacement. Laya Simply Connect, Simply Connect Plus and Control 300 Create all do. Maybe worth checking out? If it helps, they're excellent schemes - I've been with Laya for years, lots of recent claims, never a problem.

Hi,

I agree that the extra cover on the day-to-day is excellent @ 75% if you make full use of it. I calculated before moving to the higher cover if it would be worth my while and it has been. Make sure in your calculations that you will cover the cost of the extra €500. I also had unforeseen trip to Carrickmines so that added to savings :)

In moving to that plan you appear to be still only getting the 80% cover on orthopedic so from that aspect it does not appear to make any difference which is really what you appear to want.

I'm with you on staying with VHI. I did ring Blackrock many moons ago to confirm if they were still waiving the 20% difference and at that time they were. I also rang the Mater and they were of the same opinion then. Perhaps give them a call to check it out.

There was some talk on AAM previously about poor customer service with Laya but perhaps this has changed since their AXA takeover.

Back