Plumber's responsibilities...

G

guffdaddy

In the absence of a detailed list of work to be carried out, what in general is considered to be "plumber's" work?

I've hired a guy for an overall price to install a new boiler, completely replumb a couple of bathrooms, gas hob, gas fire and a few other bits'n'pieces. I'm to seperately pay for/supply all parts/appliances etc.

At this stage after many heated discussions, the plumber insists
1) agreement to do bathrooms includes installing shower, shower tray, sink, toilet etc. but doesn't include shower door
("that's builder's work...")

2) agreement to install shower does not include getting shower working correctly (there is some problem with the thermostatic valve which I supplied - water temperature ranges from extremely hot to very hot). He insists this is a faulty shower and he's not responsible for this (he hasn't opened valve to check thermostatic cartridge or anything else)
("That's manufacturer's work...")

3) connected hob to gas - refused to seat hob in counter
("That's kitchen installer's work...")

4) refuses to fix leaky valve on towel radiator he installed - insists valve I suppled didn't have a rubber washer (I know that it did; and if not, why not ask me about it before installing without a vital piece of kit?)
("That's not my work...")

Am I correct at this stage to be getting quite annoyed about this? Or is it my own fault for not detailing every single piece of work which I wanted to be done?

By the way - above is not an exhaustive list of the issues, just the ones which I'm annoyed about...

Hi,

It looks like you have been done. Any tradesman worth their salt would be able to do what was requested. The leaky valve is a great example of a cowboy. He should not have installed this without all components.

As for your comeback with him? You may have to grin and bear it. But if you have not paid him all he is "owed" then refue to until job is complete.

It can be a good lesson to us all to ensure we have a detailed list and a signed quote for any job.

Btw, did you get any references for this guy??

if you are not happy with his work, dont pay him....

pay him for what he has done to date but withold the rest....

i know plumbers who install shower doors (i know others who dont!)....
It is most definately his engagement to get the shower working correctly.... if its a faulty shower then it should be a case of swapping it for one that works wherever you purchased it.
why wasnt the hob set in the counter before it was connected??? i think hes right on that one...
no 4 is definately his remit as well, he should have insatlled a faulty valve if he knew it was faulty... clear enough to me....

In fairness to your plumber two of the jobs noted are "builder's work"- such as cutting the counter for the hob and fitting shower door. Cutting worktops properly is tricky enough and is a job for a carpenter or kitchen fitter. Plumbers won't fit shower doors because if there's a leak subsequently they get blamed of course. A lot of trades will refuse to examine faulty equipment or parts that they have not supplied (the thermostatic valve in your case). This could be a simple fix and it would seem reasonable to ask him could he investigate what may be wrong and advise you further. He's scored an own goal though in relation to the heated towel rail- he shouldn't have commenced installation without checking the product against the parts list that was supplied- in any event the missing washer or seal probably only amounts to a few cents worth. I'd say go back to your plumber and ask him to help you out, as an act of goodwill....

We are building an extension and he was recommended by the builder (who has been brilliant throughout) - for some of the work (one bathroom installation/some radiator installations) he has been employed by the builder and it will be up to the builder to ensure all is ok (so far builder ended up installing the shower doors). I've insisted that the shower be made functional however a replacement unit could take a while as I sourced it from UK.

For some of the other plumbing stuff (not related to the extension contract) he is directly employed by me and this may be more tricky to sort out.

My post was partly "get it off my chest" rant but genuine enquiry as to exactly what is the norm for a plumber to do? I would have presumed shower door installation (as he is doing the shower tray/shower unit) would have been pretty standard plumber's work - other posters opinions indicates that to be incorrect.

Note - re the hob, counter was already cut - all that was required was fitting double sided tape around perimeter of hob and then fitting a couple of retaining clips underneath (in the end I did it meself and have to say it's a quality job...)

Next time, an extremely detailed list will be produced (assuming there is a next time...)

(Also, it has to be pointed out, his almost complete inability to speak English may have led to one or two misunderstandings :)

Our plumber's done (or about to do) all the above with no quibbling whatsoever. The only problem is getting him here!

Back