Please help, I inherited €850k and dont know what to do...

• Thread starter finance_noob
  • Start date
F

finance_noob

Hi folks, I was wondering if you could help give me some advise? I am a bit of a financial noob. Heres my story...

Last year I unexpectedly inherited €850k (net). This was a bit of a shock. I am 30 years old, in a relationship but not married. I do not have a house but I do have a good safe job. The only thing I have done with the money so far is make some donations to charity.

I dont spend much in general, I dont care for clothes, houses, cars or other things. I live a reasonably simple life that invloves doing things that dont require money. So this unexpected winfall left me sort of perplexed. I guess my plan someday is just to buy a house and have some money for kids and family down the road. In the mean time I dont really have any use for it. I fully understand that I am 100% the luckiest dude in the coutry right now to have all of this but as I hope you can appreciate I was doing ok before it happened. I earned enough money from my job to keep me in beer and food.

I am looking for some financial advise. Right now I have €100k in Rabodirect and the rest of it is in Bank of Ireland. €400k is in 1 year term deposit account, and the other €350k is in a 3 month term deposit account.

Note: The only thing I care about is that the money is safe. I dont care about investments or products that try to return big interest etc. I just want to leave it somewhere safe.

1.) Am I crazy keeping it in an Irish bank with everything that is hapopening?

2.) If its is dumb to leave it in a Irish bank, where should I put it?

3.) What are the chances of loosing any of this down the road by leaving it in an Irish bank?

Any advise you can give me would be appreciated. I am worried with all of ther talk in the news that I might be doing something wrong here. I dont think I can stomach talking to any proffessional financial advisors (sorry if you are one) but the ones I have met to date have seemed out for themselves and just tried to sell dumb investment products to me.

Maybe you might like to take a year out while you're young and have the means?
If your job allows, you could do something else for a year. (Travel, charity work, research, art - whatever)
Advantage is that at least you are getting value from your money.

Other than that, I'd move from Irish banks, or at least diversify more. Ireland is apparently on the brink of default.

Note: The only thing I care about is that the money is safe. I dont care about investments or products that try to return big interest etc. I just want to leave it somewhere safe.

As much as you don't like financial advisors I would really recommend you talk to an independent one who can give you proper advice. 850K is a big sum and you should look at all your options. For example, you might put a lump sum into your pension.

At 850k just a 1% difference in deposit rates would be 8.5 k per year. So you really should find a good independent advisor.

I have no affiliation but I would recommend you look at the likes of Rory Gillens Investr Centre - http://www.investrcentre.com/investment_advice/

Hi noob,

Leaving that amount of money on deposit for a long period of time will almost certainly lose you money, in that the deposit rates you'll get are likely to be less than inflation, so inflation will eat into the spending power of the lump sum.

That said, if you're dead set against any other form of investment aside from deposits, Brendan has a useful list of the various banks and their guarantee schemes here. You could spread your deposit around various of the banks mentioned, to access the protection of the various deposit protection schemes out there, not just the Irish one.

(Disclosure - I am a financial advisor but the above is a personal opinion based on the information given, and should not be construed as professional advice, which would require a lot more background information.)

1. Travel the world.

2. Look out for auction of distressed prosperties like one from Allsops a few weeks back. Buy nice big house. Or maybe two - one to live in and one to rent out.

3. You can share house with some friends. Just like the guy in Bachelors Walk. One friend should be chubby loser-type barrister who has a rich dad. The other should be a quirky happy-go-lucky dude who fails to pay the rent on occasion but you let him off with it because he is fun to have around. Think of the capers you all will get up to and the fun you will have.

(Disclosure - I am not a financial advisor but the above is a personal opinion based on the information given, and should not be construed as professional advice, which would require a lot more background information.)

Leaving that amount of money on deposit for a long period of time will almost certainly lose you money, in that the deposit rates you'll get are likely to be less than inflation, so inflation will eat into the spending power of the lump sum.

Thanks for the info. I just feel more comfortable in the short term with deposits. I agree long term I need a better plan.

I have been thinking about throwing maybe €200k into a sterling account through Ulsterbank. The sterling is historically weak now and it fells like a good time to do this. This would also spread the risk around a bit. Am I missing anything with this strategy?

Seriously, get proper advice. Once you start saying sentenances like "thinking about throwing 200k into a sterling account" should start alarm bells ringing!

You should not make arbritary, off-the-cuff decisions like this with that level of money. You can set yourself up for a very comfortable life if you do this properly and get the advice you need.

Go and talk to at least 2 or 3 independent advisors and you will have a much better idea on what to do. You don't have to take their advice but at the moment you are shooting in the dark.

OMG!

I defintely think you need professional advice! It's a huge sum of money! Nearly enough to retire on perhaps, if invested wisely.

EG, if you could achieve a 5% return, after expenses and taxes, that'd be 40K a year. Shares may provide that return.

But I'm not a financial adviser, I definitely think you need one.

I'd split it between
gold, silver perhaps - 30K to 100K
shares, diversied. (US, Euro, others, also across many industries, airlines, mines, oil, tech)
other currencies, swiss franc, ozzie dollar, etc.
property in Ireland at the right price, and not an apartment with the legal problems.

I have been thinking about throwing maybe €200k into a sterling account through Ulsterbank. The sterling is historically weak now and it fells like a good time to do this. This would also spread the risk around a bit. Am I missing anything with this strategy?

This is inconsistent with your previous post where you said you didn't want to look at any form of higher-risk investment strategy for the moment. What you're describing is currency speculation. Currency speculation is a fairly high risk investment strategy.

I'm not saying that I agree or disagree with your opinion on the future movement of Sterling against the Euro; I'm just pointing out that you've gone from keeping 100% of the money on deposit for now, to saying that you're considering putting almost 25% of it on a currency punt.

My own view is that long-term investing should not be about lobbing lumps of money at ad-hoc strategies because of a short-term view (or a slick sales pitch), but about making a plan that takes everything into account.

This is inconsistent with your previous post where you said you didn't want to look at any form of higher-risk investment strategy for the moment. What you're describing is currency speculation. Currency speculation is a fairly high risk investment strategy.

Sorry I didn't mean to sound so reckless! I was just throwing some ideas out there. I don't care much for speculating on currency markets but getting some money out of Ireland and out of the Euro sounds like it could be a good idea.

Sorry I didn't mean to sound so reckless! I was just throwing some ideas out there. I don't care much for speculating on currency markets but getting some money out of Ireland and out of the Euro sounds like it could be a good idea.

Sorry - I didn't mean to sound critical or judgmental! It's just that I disagree with the general idea of investing without an overall plan and I also disagree with the idea of investing a large sum of money based on speculation on the possible short-term movement of currencies.

You say that you don't have a plan for this money yet. Take your time. As others have mentioned and you undoubtedly already realise, this is a potentially life-changing amount of cash. Until you do have a plan, I'd be inclined to simply split it between banks for security, notwithstanding my earlier comments about inflation. It's reasonably likely that interest rates will outpace inflation in the short-term.

Take your time. As others have mentioned and you undoubtedly already realise, this is a potentially life-changing amount of cash. Until you do have a plan, I'd be inclined to simply split it between banks for security, notwithstanding my earlier comments about inflation. It's reasonably likely that interest rates will outpace inflation in the short-term.

Ok, the safest thing for me in the short term is to split the cash between some different banks in deposit accounts. If I can earn 2-4% interest on it I will be happy enough that in the short term at least it is growing with inflation. After that I can dedicate more time to learning about the different options I have for smarter investment.

So what banks should I start looking at? I have a rabodirect account with €100k in it. There is also Ulsterbank which I can deposit up to €100k guaranteed. After that its AIB and BOI.

I guess my biggest worry is Its seems to be like AIB and BOI are relatively safe as they are backup by the Gov. Its the Gov I am worried about, if they default or drop out of the Euro, my deposits in all of these banks including Rabo are going to be under threat.

Should I look at Euro banks abroad? What banks should I be looking at?

I guess what I mean to say is...

Is having €100k in BOI and €100k in AIB any different than having €200k in just one of them?

Surely if it comes to one imploding the other one goes too.

A financial advisor is what you need. Hell, get two of them if you like, you can afford it.

can you do a big one off pension contribution ie all your wages for last year. as you can get this at the best tax rate... think you can do this up till october..

Should I look at Euro banks abroad? What banks should I be looking at?

By investing with Rabo you have availed of the Dutch Deposit Protection Scheme so another option open to you is the UK one - see below.

The web site itsyourmoney.ie is another port of call for advice.

This is from the section:

General Notes:
Links to details on deposit protection schemes:
Irish Government Bank Guarantee Scheme
Protects 100% of your deposit regardless of the amount until June 30th 2011.
Irish Deposit Protection Scheme
Protects the first €100,000 of your deposit per person.
The UK Financial Services Compensation Scheme
[broken link removed]
[broken link removed]
Protects 100% of your deposit regardless of the amount until September 30th 2010.

Act in haste, repent at leisure.

If you use a fee only adviser that should deal with the product selling concerns.

You should also seek an adviser who is independently accredited as a certified financial planner or CFP.

Details of the CFP accreditation can be found on the financial planning standards board website FPSB.ie

Although you don't meet my minimum investment I would be happy to recommend some advisers for you to contact to discuss your requirements.

In the end you should work with the adviser you feel most comfortable with.

Back