Plasma versus LCD

auto320

The old telly is starting to get foggy, thought it was my eyes but then Mrs Auto mentioned it as well. Looks like most tellys now in Power City etc are flat screen, and price differences between Plasma and LCD are not great.

So, which is the best thing to buy? We have a largish livingroom, and we like to watch a movie at weekends, so can anyone give a few pointers on one versus the other. I went into Power City and the guy was giving me a load of waffle, so some clear advice would be a help.

Far from an expert on the subject.. but the general advice given (at least the last time I looked into it) is that LCD gives a slightly better picture, with Plasma getting the nod when you go above 42" for economy reasons.

The old telly is starting to get foggy, thought it was my eyes but then Mrs Auto mentioned it as well. Looks like most tellys now in Power City etc are flat screen, and price differences between Plasma and LCD are not great.

So, which is the best thing to buy? We have a largish livingroom, and we like to watch a movie at weekends, so can anyone give a few pointers on one versus the other. I went into Power City and the guy was giving me a load of waffle, so some clear advice would be a help.

There are loads of threads on this topic on this site.

You tend to find Plasmas being sold more for larger models and LCDs for 32" sizes. Each technology has its advantages and disadvantages

My advice, though, is to identify your criteria (size, cost, HD-ready, preferred make if you have one, etc.) then bring along a DVD you are familiar with and watch the same scene on a number of TV models to see which looks better to you, regardless of which technology drives it.

buy panasonic 50 inch plasma monitor,no tuner inside,commercial model.
best picture in dark scenes. commercial models have better parts inside and therefore last longer,no tuner means no problems tuning in channels use tuner in your sky hd box.

High Definition TVs only display their true picture quality when fed with a high definition input e.g HD DVD, Blu Ray,or an upscaling DVD player. Standard Definition (normal TV) images can seem relatively disappointing, especially if the signal is not 100%. I purchased a 32" Toshiba LCD along with a HD DVD player recently. For the first week, I only watched DVDs and the picture quality is amazing. Last week, I had Sky Digital installed and, while the picture quality is good, it is still disappointing in comparison to what it can be with a HD feed. Even so, it is still superior to my old Sony CRT TV.
By the way Sky now broadcast about 16 channels in HD but the price is restrictive (one off installation of €449 and I think €43/ month after that).
As for LCD v Plasma, there have been a lot of threads on this forum on this already. I think you will find a fairly even split of opinion. Personally, I think LCD is better.

Last edited:
lcds have a brighter picture and some people thinks this distorts the true picture quality you should expect .i have sky hd and picture is great but i agree non hd channels are poorer. i hope range of hd channels will expand, however i heard this is probably 5 to 10 years away. japan is leader in hd ,soon to be offering super hd ,15 times sharper and clearer than current hd. still think panasonic 50 inch hd monitor has overall best picture. check out cnet on nytimes.com for in depth ratings on all plasmas and lcds.

Generally the picture is better of an lcd but as another poster said it is quite bright. My mum has an lcd and I hate it, its really bright. Also if you have young kids the sreen can be easily broke.

We have a plasma 37" panasonic. No problems with it,fine tv for to watch football on!

Lcd tv's will be cheaper than plasmas. You cant get a small screen plasma. I should know I used to sell them!!

Back