Plasma v LCD TV

cork

My dads TV gave up.

He is looking for a reliable 21"+.

Should he go for Plasma or LCD?

What brands would be the most reliable?

What size is he looking for? Plasma is only available for large sizes. I assume his old TV is 21" 4:3 aspect ratio. This is about 28" in widescreen 16:9 aspect ratio. A 32" from any of the major brands would do him fine.

Very hard now to get a Plasma in anything less than 42". LCD have the market up to 37" as the picture quality has moved up. Personally perfer my plasma (37" 100 Hz).

Some great deals out there

Go for a Panasonic or Samsung, Contrast Ratio: min 10,000:1 screen pixel size say 1300 x 900 (min) and make sure it has an MPEG4 decorder if you want to be able to receive the irish Digital Terestial Channels. Also HDMI connections are best.

MPEG4 are hard enuf to come by but should become more widely available next month so I've heard.

just my two cents worth.

Some great deals out there[/QUOTE]

Any examples Fiskar
I'm in the market for a 40" or a 42".
Budget €1000

If you are only planning to go for a small screen size (32" or less) then don't be spending too much on fancy gimmicks or extras that you won't need.

Forget about 1080p Full HD - not necessary on small screens.

Don't look for loads of HDMI sockets. I'm guessing your dad will be using a SCART.

Don't be looking for 600Hz or even 100HZ refresh rates. 50Hz will do the job.

Try to stick with a decent brand. Likes of Sony, Samsung, Toshiba, Panasonic, LG. Avoid the cheap generic brands.

LED might be the better choice if you also want to take into consideration how much it is going to cost to run it. Remembered reading this a while ago, which gives some numbers on it.

LED might be the better choice if you also want to take into consideration how much it is going to cost to run it. Remembered reading this a while ago, which gives some numbers on it.

They are scary figures:eek:

Might stick with the CRT for another while.

They are scary figures:eek:

Might stick with the CRT for another while.

They're also 4 years old. Look at the into place on the back of your CRT to determine its power demands and then compare to modern screens.
Leo

Very hard now to get a Plasma in anything less than 42". LCD have the market up to 37" as the picture quality has moved up. Personally perfer my plasma (37" 100 Hz).

Some great deals out there

Incorrect re. LCD figure ... I have a 46" LCD

They're also 4 years old. Look at the into place on the back of your CRT to determine its power demands and then compare to modern screens.
Leo

Yes, sorry, started to add a bit to my first post about how the figures might have changed in the few years since but got tired and couldn't make the sentence make sense (what the hell was I still doing up at that hour of the night!).

The gas in a plasma, as far as i'm aware, gives you around 10,000hrs of viewing time. Sounds like a lot of hours, but if you've kids that are regularly glued to the tv or whether you watch a lot of tv yourself, then you won't be long using up that amount of hours.

The gas in a plasma, as far as i'm aware, gives you around 10,000hrs of viewing time. Sounds like a lot of hours, but if you've kids that are regularly glued to the tv or whether you watch a lot of tv yourself, then you won't be long using up that amount of hours.

Plasma lifespan is closer to 100,000 hrs, but it is doubtful that anyone would get that kind of usage out of one, or indeed hold onto one for that time. I would go with Plasma over LCD purely for picture quality.

Back