Plasma TVs

S

Sleppeah

Does anybody know anything the Mitsubshi Black Diamond 42" plasma TV? I saw one for E2399 - it seems cheap, is this a good make/deal?

I have to say that the quality of picture on the Mitsubishi is woefull no offence to anyone that has one. I have been looking to buy a plasma screen for quite sometime well 2 years to be honest and will purchase after xmas as prices will drop significantly on higher grade models such as sony etc...
I would suggest you go into a shop and get a close look at the same dvd playing on different plasma screens. As the difference in them is huge. Detail on some is so blurry if you look at someone's hair you can see strands on one display and on other they just melt into a blur. Also how black can the screen go as Plasma has one large downpoint it cannot recreate black but some screens are very close it some don't come close. I am a fenickety so and so when it comes to tv's dvd plasma etc I need to know all before buying something that cost a lot of money. Good luck and enjoy the full cinema experience

IsBiggerthanyours

I bought a video projector. I think it's absolutely fantastic. Got it for under a grand too.

My screen size is measured in feet rather than inches.

Re: IsBiggerthanyours

I agree with regards to the video projector I have one too set up but that is only for movies not suitable to for watching tv on really I think and also hard to integrate into someone's living room.

Projectors

I fell in love with a 66 inch sony LCD in America but it costs 20K. So now my 32 inch widescreen seems small for movies. I was considering keeping that tv for watching tv and buying a projector and screen for watching dvds. How much does it cost? How easy is it to set up in a room? What is the picture quality like ?

IsBiggerthanyours

Airwave - yes, I only use mine for films too. I don't ever watch TV anyway. (I forget that other people watch TV)

Another benefit of a projector is you don't need a TV licence :D

television

I have a 20" power city special.

It works fine. Sometimes the colour goes a bit funny on the teletext, but it rights itself after a few minutes. We have a video recorder as well. Once, one of the children rammed something into it and broke it. I removed the cover and actually managed to fix the machine - my proudest moment. I almost bought a DVD player in Xtravision, but couldn;t decide which model and never bothered.

I already watch far too much television. I worry that if I bought a swanky plasma t.v. (o.k., even a bog standard 28") I would watch even more. I probably worry too much. But when I see people putting a three or four thousand euro telly on HP/loan finance, I begin to wonder is it me that is going mad or the rest of the world.

plasma

if anyone is looking at plasma tv's it might be worthwhile waiting a bit until 42'' lcd tv's become more available. see this comparison, lcd wins by a mile
[broken link removed]

Projector

Anybody who has a projector can you answer the following ;

1. What is the cheapest decent model you can buy?
2. How does the image quality compare to a standard modern CRT ?
3. What size room would be required ?
4. What size can the image be without losing resolution?
5. What make /model can you recommend ?
6. What type of screen do you recommend ?

Thanks in adavance.

gas

1. What is the cheapest decent model you can buy?
Like anything, it depends on what personal standards you have. I got the cheapest one I could find and was V.Happy with it. Other people might think it was crap.
2. How does the image quality compare to a standard modern CRT ?
This depends on what resolution you buy, and blub brightness. With my one, it's obviously not as bright as a CRT but my eyes can't notice a difference in image quality. The pixels are bigger. you can run it off RGB scart or composit video. This makes a difference.
3. What size room would be required ?
I have a 'normal' size room. What's more awkward is where to put the furniture. You can mount the projector on the ceiling, but will need to make room for the screen, or projection area.
4. What size can the image be without losing resolution?
My image is about 10' and I haven't lost any resolution. You'll probably run out of wall space first.
5. What make /model can you recommend ?
I got an Epson. I don't necessariliy recommend this over any others - I haven't tried any others.
6. What type of screen do you recommend ?
I first projected onto a sheet in the garden. That was great. It was like a drive in movie. At the moment, I'm using the wall in my living room. I haven't got a screen yet.

Projector

Thats great Projectorfan Thanks. Could I ask the following ;

What model is it ?
how much was it?
where did you buy it?
can it be connected to DVD/Gamecube/PC/NTL Signal ?

Cheers

Proj

Projectorfan,

Does it come with the screen and fridge as pictured on that page. I assumed not but then I came accross mention on another site that says it does.

If it does, what size is the screen ? is it any good ?

Screen

I didn't get a screen... yet. That offer has ended.

I'm going to kick up a fuss and see what I can get though. When I get around to it.

Re: Screen

was dead set on gettin a 42 inch plasma for my new house which hasnt been erected yet but am considering a projector now . i find it hard to believe u dont need a tv licence though.. can anyone confirm..

Re: screen

I would imagine as it does not have a tuner, is just a player and is therefore not capable of recieving TV channels it would be exempt.

Re: screen

Sorry, it's not, of course, a player and you would need a tv licence if you were watching tv on it.

Back