Plasma Screen

Kerak

Well have the money, and have been looking in all the main dealers.

LG or Sony
Panasonic or Beko

2k-2.5k to spend, want wall brackets as well. I have the surround sound system.

Any advice

have a look at [broken link removed]

They do large flatscreensfor a lot less than €2k

I'm not an expert onTV's but Igot a projector and the quality is perfect

Have you considered this
[email protected]

The Aldi plasma is getting good feedback. Although there probably aren't any left I think you can order one in and it'll take about 4 or 5 weeks. It's a 42" for €1500.

You might want to take a look at this sticky

The info may be somewhat dated as this technology moves along at a clipping pace but you might find something there of interest. BTW Santa never brought one :(

Decani said:
The Aldi plasma is getting good feedback. Although there probably aren't any left I think you can order one in and it'll take about 4 or 5 weeks. It's a 42" for €1500.

This model is [broken link removed] a rebadged non-high definition capable LG model. You should be able to pick up similar bargains from other manufacturers as all LCD or Plasma manufacturers launch new HDTV compatible models.

I would hold on for a true High Def display, especially if you are interested in the future in getting or presumably eventually NTL.

A friend of mine lives in Shanghai and runs a company - lcd international.
I ordered a Samsung 40" lcd, HD, every possible upgrade including built in card reader, speakers & stand (wall barckets $95 extra). Also came with 160G DVD recorder (optional). Really nice design (all black).
I paid E3,300 (which included US$400 fedex delivery), subject to tax on arrival.
Priced similar models in England, without the dvd recorder & came in at 9,500stg so a third of the price. Will have mid August.
I have been to England/Belfast & prices are much better than here. The 42" Panasonic HD Plasma PEO-30B came in E1,500 cheaper than DID & PEATS!!
Richer Sounds are preety cheap but models are a bit outdated..
If you would like info on importing from lcd international email me mid August after I play around with it...

[email protected]

" Well have the money...."

Do you know that a plasma TV uses 2-3 times more energy comparing it -size wise - with an ordinary TV ? And it might get that old as well. Electricity prices will rise together with oil/gas prices , about 20-30 % per year.

heinbloed said:
a plasma TV uses 2-3 times more energy comparing it -size wise - with an ordinary TV ?

Heinbloed - how does an LCD TV compare on energy usage versus a plasma, I would guess much lower??

Lakeview said:
Heinbloed - how does an LCD TV compare on energy usage versus a plasma, I would guess much lower??

Check out here.

According to this site:

Power Consumption
Plasma sets are said to use considerably more power than similarly sized L.C.D. models. But some people argue that because L.C.D. panels have a constant backlight, while plasma uses power only when a pixel is lighted, power consumption is almost the same. But not everyone agrees. When Consumer Reports tested power consumption, it found that a 30-inch L.C.D. consumed 133.5 watts, while a 42-inch plasma used 346.5 watts.

Some of the difference is attributable to the larger size of the plasma set. But not most of it. "A plasma TV has three power supplies for one set. That's pretty significant."

I see Curry's are selling a SONY slimline widescreen 42 LCD rear projection TV with Digital Constant Image, Virtual Dolby + BBE Surround Sound, & PC input

Product overview for this GRAND WEGA 107cm (42'') LCD Widescreen Rear Projection TV - The Ultimate in Slimline Large Screen
PC Input (VGA, SVGA & XGA 60Hz)
Virtual Dolby Surround + BBE
3D Digital Comb Filter
Resolution: 1366 x 768 LCD Panels x 3
Digital Constant Image (DCI)
Picture-and-Picture & Picture-and-Text
Auto Noise Reduction
2 x 15 Watts (RMS) Audio Output
Dynamic Picture in Picture with Twin Tuners
Digital Gamma
SmartLink
Nicam Stereo Sound
Graphic Equaliser
Auto Tuning
Auto Labelling/Sorting
Sleep Timer
Smart Link
Fast Text with 2000 Page Memory
Level 2 NexTView
Front AV Inputs
3 x Scart Sockets
2 x RGB

£995 so about 1500 euro.

Any ideas on how good a tv this is?

While it is always good to save Electricity for the sake of the world, watching 3 hours a day of plasma screen TV would cost around 50euro a year in electricity or about 35 euro a year more than the LCD screen therefore I wouldn't worry too much about the power consumption if you are shelling out 2 or 3K on a plasma screen.

Surely the biggest consideration when it comes to power consumption is the energy wasted when a tv or other appliance is left on standby?

CPAMG said:
I see Curry's are selling a SONY slimline widescreen 42 LCD rear projection TV with Digital Constant Image, Virtual Dolby + BBE Surround Sound, & PC input

Product overview for this GRAND WEGA 107cm (42'') LCD Widescreen Rear Projection TV - The Ultimate in Slimline Large Screen
PC Input (VGA, SVGA & XGA 60Hz)
Virtual Dolby Surround + BBE
3D Digital Comb Filter
Resolution: 1366 x 768 LCD Panels x 3
Digital Constant Image (DCI)
Picture-and-Picture & Picture-and-Text
Auto Noise Reduction
2 x 15 Watts (RMS) Audio Output
Dynamic Picture in Picture with Twin Tuners
Digital Gamma
SmartLink
Nicam Stereo Sound
Graphic Equaliser
Auto Tuning
Auto Labelling/Sorting
Sleep Timer
Smart Link
Fast Text with 2000 Page Memory
Level 2 NexTView
Front AV Inputs
3 x Scart Sockets
2 x RGB

£995 so about 1500 euro.

Any ideas on how good a tv this is?

This model (SONY KF-42SX300U) gets 3.5 out of 5 in the www.HomeCinemaChoice.com review (see PDF [broken link removed]) when it cost £2000.

The lower price would increse the review rating now I would suspect.

The main "problem" is that it has no component inputs (which you would expect on a screen this size, in order to get the most from your DVDs) or HDMI (in order to get the most from modern DVDs and from High Definition TV when this come out).

Still, the price is good so, if you can live without these features, it looks like a good buy.

Heard of one instance of one of the Aldi plasma's not working shortly after purchase. Anyone else?

Back