Planning/Retention Granny Flat

More

... legal action can not be taken if it’s more than seven years since the beginning of the development...

That’s me sorted than on two conversions. That’s a very good link for the legalities of it. I did one of my conversions before google maps. But it was internal anyway.

Lees pidea when in 2013 was it built. Stay well away from the council until it’s well over the 7 years.

... legal action can not be taken if it’s more than seven years since the beginning of the development...

That’s me sorted than on two conversions. That’s a very good link for the legalities of it. I did one of my conversions before google maps. But it was internal anyway.

Yeah, they can't take action after 7 years, or 12 years where they was planning in place to do some of the work (for instance where you got planning to build an extension, but built bigger than what you had planning for.

After those periods, you'll only run into problems where you go to sell the property (where there is a mortgage involved and the bank are concerned it might affect value) or seek planning to carry out further development. With the latter, the LA can refuse permission pending removal of the unapproved development or apply conditions to the approval that it will be modified to their liking.

Yeah, they can't take action after 7 years,

To correct that point, Section 46 of the 2000 Planning Act gives the LA authority a number of options after the 7 year period for unauthorised development 'in exceptional circumstances', without defining what constitutes exceptional. Not sure how often that has been used.

Last edited:
Back