Planning Refusal Query

• Thread starter lastbuilderstanding
  • Start date
L

lastbuilderstanding

I was refused planning on an elevated site because the roof cut the skyline which was not a surprise so I am not appealing. I am going to apply again with a different site where the roof does not cut the skyline but I have been advised that it will be refused as there will be significant excavation required to clear site for foundations and entry. These new regulations regarding excavations came into force in the new year.

Could someone give me information regarding the process/timelines/cost/likely outcome of appealing this to an bord pleanala if I am refused again?

A lot of other recently constructed houses in the locality would have required the same or more excavation due to the hilly nature of the area.

Um!

what new rules on excavations (I know the skyline one, its everywhere not that you would notice ) ?

is this on a Drumlin perchance , or on an Esker and is it county specific or a law/guideline ?

ridge height

My Site is also elevated and planning is restricted to
6.5m ridge height by OP. I want to build a dormer but any nice plan I have seen is above this, nearest is 6.9m

Is there any scope or leverage from anyone's experience?, btw the site is in East Galway

I am meeting the planner for the area this week and am looking to see what I can do regarding this issue.

idea for Galway

Try a nice 1 and 1/2 story design, eg roof starts right on top of 1st floor windows and you get headroom upstairs unlike low pitch dormers .

Re: Um!

The site is in Cavan so the vast majority of houses in rural settings would require significant excavation. The excavation restrictions are new guidelines in place since the turn of the year. I am confident that I will be able to follow all the other guidelines i.e. skyline, sightlines etc. but the excavation one will be a problem.

What I would really like information on is what is involved in the appeal process (if it is required) in terms of cost/timelines and process.

Eureka

Drumlin Country! Now I can see why the 'excavation clause' applies .

Part of the rationale is to stop what is in effect unauthorised quarrying under the pretence of site preparation. I suspect you are in East Cavan even

Part of it is because of the risk of landslides and subsidence.

I also suspect you may see some monster holes in the hood with very very very small houses in them :)

Back