Planning Permission Kildare Co Co.

S

sullivk3

Hi,

I have just recently been given an offer to buy a site in a rural area from a friend & was just wondering if anyone had any information on how best to apply for planning permission from Kildare CoCo?

Currently I am living in a town area (approx 5km from the site)& I hear it is quite difficult to get planning permission from Kildare under their guidelines.

Please advise if anyone has any good architects/engineers to get advice from in relation to this or who has gone through a similar situation?

Thanks and regards,
K

Kildare planning Dept have planning "clinics" every few months where you can discuss your plans informally with planners and they will give you feedback on the liklihood of permission being granted. I'm not sure when the next ones are scheduled but if you call the planning dept they will tell you.
I've used this service and so has another friend and we both found them to be very helpful and, as councils go, quite progressive in their policies- this can be a good or a bad thing depending on what you want to do. You can also try ringing them and ask to speak to a planner if your query is quite straightforward. I was put through to a planner when the clerical staff couldn't answer my query, I was pleasantly surprised at their accessiblility.

You need to look up Chapter 6 of the County Develpment plan (Rural housing strategy) & see if you comply with any of the 5 definitions of local need.
Most people apply under catagory 3/4 -> that you are from the local area...........however they are interpreting this very strictly & if you are from a town/village they are saying that you are not from the rural area (even if it is just down the road) Basically they are trying to encourage building in villages/towns rather than one off houses in the countyside.
also keep in mind that if you already own a house then you will be considered to not have a 'housing need' and will be refused.

It may be worth presenting you case to a local TC/Councillor - they tend to have a fair idea of whether you would get planning or not, or they would advise on the best way to apply.

Back