Planning levy query

murphaph

Hi All,
We currently have an application in for a change of use and ca.15sq m extension on a ca. 30 sq m retail unit (to fast food) in South Dublin County. Total area would be ca. 45 sq m when complete. The site sits in the develpment contribution areas for BOTH the Kildare Route Project (€29 per sq m) and Metro West (€50 per sq m) as well as the normal development levies. This could rapidly add up to a few grand as you can see and my question is the following:

Are any/all the development levies levyable on the entire property (45 sq m) as it's change of use or just the propsed extension (15 sq m)?

Secondly;
We have a 130 sq m single storey residential property in need of total renovation on the same site and we are considering applying for change of use to 2no. retail/commercial units with just a small extension (ca. 10 sq m) required to the rear. So a similar question...would full development levies be due for this change of use or can it be 'discounted' as a structure already exists on the site and the walls and roof will be left standing?

It just came into my head today and the architect is away.

, I'm sorry I don't have an answer for you. I have a similar question: we are extending a house in Kildare and I'm wondering if we will need to pay a development levy. If so, how much? I've heard that after the 40 sq m it's a charge per sq metre. Anyone know?

All of the below comments are prefixed by a big "maybe" - that having been said, here goes; -

Changing the use is defined as development, otherwise you would not need to apply for permission for it - ergo the charge is likely to apply to the area affected.

Extending the premises is defined as development, otherwise you would not need to apply for permission for it - ergo the charge is likely to apply to the area of the new extension.

If you were just changing the use, the levy would only apply to that area of the new use.

If you were just extending, the levy would only apply to that extension area.

As it stands, expect to be hit for both levies on the total area.

That having been said, each local authority is different and you may have get-out clauses [your own comments about it being an existing building refer] or one-or-the-other levy clauses buried in the internal regulations.

In many cases, the charges will only apply to the area proposed to be used - i.e. if you demolished some of the building to facilitate the extension, only the final usable area would be used for the calculation.

One source of useful definitive advice [as opposed to off-the-cuff waffle like this] is your planning officer - ring up and talk it through.

Another source of information are your several elected representatives - they don't bite and you can ring or call into a "clinic".

However, since this is a while ago now, can you post a reply and let us know what happened? :)

Back