Planning board refuses permission for €650m Shannon LNG terminal

WizardDr

It seems ludicrous that we do not have an LNG terminal.

At this rate it could be years before we have one.

Given that between January and September 2022, the largest LNG exporters to the EU were the United States (44%), Russia (17%) and Qatar (13%) - would you rather be dependent on US as opposed to others?

Its crazy. Germany has already built temporary ones. Gas prices have tripled in under 3 years, our energy security is under question and we are STILL turning away alternatives other countries would bite at if offered to them.

I really think the Green's will struggle with seats in the next election. I agree that we need to implement changes, but we need this LNG terminal before we can fully transition to a renewable future.

It seems ludicrous that we do not have an LNG terminal.

At this rate it could be years before we have one.

Given that between January and September 2022, the largest LNG exporters to the EU were the United States (44%), Russia (17%) and Qatar (13%) - would you rather be dependent on US as opposed to others?

Maybe. But isnt there very good reason for rejection?

I really think the Green's will struggle with seats in the next election. I agree that we need to implement changes, but we need this LNG terminal before we can fully transition to a renewable future.
'think'!!!
They're going to be near wiped out. Lucky to get 2 seats max and this LNG terminal won't be a deciding factor in any of their losses

If the Greens are not wiped out in the next election then they will not have done their job.

All parties have some form of ideology but the Greens is the only one with a ticking clock.

This government was a make-or-break chance for them to take action on climate so they had to go all-in.

FF, FG, and SF would not spare any political capital on this. They care deeply about voter sentiment which ties their hands.

Eamon and gang are willing to take the hit and end up with no TDs, which means they don't have to be populist or popular.

But isnt there very good reason for rejection?
No. It's a piece of vital strategic infrastructure and it's being blocked because of a childish and simplistic view of the world that would be at home in a University debating society but not amongst grow ups.

If the Greens are not wiped out in the next election then they will not have done their job.

All parties have some form of ideology but the Greens is the only one with a ticking clock.

This government was a make-or-break chance for them to take action on climate so they had to go all-in.

FF, FG, and SF would not spare any political capital on this. They care deeply about voter sentiment which ties their hands.

Eamon and gang are willing to take the hit and end up with no TDs, which means they don't have to be populist or popular.
If you don't have sitting reps, you don't influence government. So any new government (regardless of its makeup), can come along and wipe away everything the Greens have done, from carbon taxation to tearing up bike lanes.

If you don't have sitting reps, you don't influence government. So any new government (regardless of its makeup), can come along and wipe away everything the Greens have done, from carbon taxation to tearing up bike lanes.
There is no point in being in opposition if you want to get time-sensitive things done. If you're not in government your influence as a TD is homeopathic in strength.

In the history of coalitions here and in the UK the junior party takes the biggest hit when the government eventually collapses.

When Irish people make a list of who is to blame for anything it's generally one or more of: the British, the Church, and the Greens...!

So why would they futz about when they are probably going to be wiped out anyway?

Is it really needed, given it will take a number of years to get built anyway?. We already have gas interconnectors into the UK, the electric Celtic interconnector is scheduled to go live in 3 years, if I look out my window, I would estimate 10% of the houses in my estate are already gone solar or heat pump (or both) and with more and more better insulated houses, I can see the demand for gas at best being static (due to new builds) and probably declining in 5 years + times as more people move off fossil fuels.

Would it have been another white elephant?

Is it really needed, given it will take a number of years to get built anyway?
Yes, we do need it. Gas provides around 45-50% of our total energy primary supply (Wind provides around 30-35%).
That's not changing any time soon. Solar is irrelevant in the overall picture.
We have a single gas pipeline from a country outside the EU and a quickly declining domestic supply. If the UK turns off the tap our economy stops functioning.

Back