Planning a Shed on Paving : Seeking Tips on Base, Gap, and Budget Options

spupazza

Registered User
Messages
21
Hi everyone,

I'm planning to install a shed on the paved tiles shown in the picture and am deciding between metal, plastic, or wooden construction. My main concern is how to secure the shed to the ground, and the area is not perfectly level so I would like advice on the best way to address that.

My understanding is that a wooden shed normally sits on pressure-treated bearers supported by concrete blocks or a slab around the perimeter, which raises the floor and helps prevent water ingress. Plastic and metal sheds are often anchored with base rails fixed to the paving or a concrete base, which can make the floor more exposed to surface water unless a raised timber subframe or slab is used.

The available space is 9 ft by 7.5 ft and there is already a shed next to it; should I leave a gap between them, and if so how much?

Finally, could you suggest good shed options under €1,000, ideally around 8.5 ft by 7 ft.
Thank you.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20251011_101456438.webp
    IMG_20251011_101456438.webp
    416.4 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_20251011_101525379.webp
    IMG_20251011_101525379.webp
    302.8 KB · Views: 101
My main concern is how to secure the shed to the ground, and the area is not perfectly level so I would like advice on the best way to address that.
What is underneath the existing paving slabs? Hardcode base or just directly on soil?

should I leave a gap between them, and if so how much?
You need to leave enough to at least be able to access the existing shed for painting.

I think from what I can see, if I were you( but it would be outside your current budget ) I would take out the existing wooden shed and put in a new single metal shed on the combined space. All on a new concrete base. We put down a foundation and put up a metal shed a few years ago(9x8 i think) and I had wished I had put the biggest one I could get. 5 years on its still like new and no real upkeep to speak of.
 
Avoid wooden sheds- our damp climate just rots them over time, Roof felt needs replacing every 7 or 8 years or it leaks- annual painting etc.

I bought metal shed from Sheds Direct, found them excellent.
Shed isn't anchored but never moves even in gale force winds.

*Not affiliated with Sheds Direct

 
Last edited:
I bought metal shed from Sheds Direct, found them excellent.
Shed isn't anchored but never moves even in gale force winds.
Same for us on both points! Once you have a few bits in the shed its not going anywhere
 
I don't see an issue with wooden sheds - I have two. One is going 20 years, but did get a re-felt of the roof. The other is there 8 years. Both in good condition and suitable for what they are used for (Lidl middle aisle specials :p and a ride-on mover)

I can see the current shed is a little "worn" looking and possibly it might be a better long term option to replace that and get one larger shed for the entire space. But if that's not an option, just look for reasonably local company - sheds direct Ireland seem to have a decent reputation and have a large show space on the Naas road at baldonnell. They'll likely suggest about 8-10 concrete blocks over the paving as you have on the original shed and the shed will sit on this.
 
You can have a metal shed on concrete blocks. That is what we have and we are very happy with it. It has an internal vapor barrier also. We got it installed three years ago. I put down some hardcore and positioned the concreate blocks. The installers came and assembled the shed, levelled it, etc. The shed is just resting on the blocks and survived all the storms no problem. If you have back garden access I would be happy to recommend this option. Abbeylawn in Wicklow is the company. They will build to your specs.
 
Those sheds from Sheds Direct come flat-packed. Are they difficult to assemble?
If youre a day hand at DIY then you could give it a shot....me, yes I can change a tap and general DIY but no way was I assembling. Chap turned up with two helpers and took maybe 2 hours.
 
I don't see an issue with wooden sheds
same here - have one installed 10 years ago, I've done nothing to it and it's still fine. Just make sure to get pressure treated wood, and it's worth paying extra for a metal roof to save faffing around with felt every few years.
 
Those sheds from Sheds Direct come flat-packed. Are they difficult to assemble?
If you assemble it and a gust blows the wind off after a couple of months, its your fault. If they assemble it, its their fault :p or at least you'd have some comeback.

Installers are doing it day in day out - what takes them 2 hours could take me or you two weeks and you'll know its done well.
 
Thank you again for all your helpful replies. @Persia may I ask, how should I position the metal shed if the ground where it is paved isn’t level?
I can't put any base on the paved floor because I am renting the place. Ideally I'd like to get something that I can disassemble easily when moving house.
 
may I ask, how should I position the metal shed if the ground where it is paved isn’t level?
Sorry, no idea on that other than it definitely needs to be level...perhaps talk to the shed company?
Ideally I'd like to get something that I can disassemble easily when moving house.
All i can think of is to get the chaps number and if you need to move contact him and he can dismantle and put back up again.
Shed company will always have a good few contractors like this....when you do need to move, you can contact them and get a tel number.
 
Back
Top