Laya plan switching with pre existing condition

amadan1000

Hi all. I was diagnosed in May with a chronic autoimmune disease that will require surgery and lifetime monitoring. I have been on the Laya assure idea plan since 2014. My cover was useless as I had no access to private hospitals and received less than stellar care. I also have no access to the surgery I require in the public system and im hoping to get it done in the uk .I have been following this forum with interest and switched last week to laya simplicity plan.
My questions are ,im aware of my 2 year waiting period for the simplicity benefits for my now pre existing condition to kick in eg private hospital stay.But can I use private hospitals for day cases eg scans ,bloods etc for my condition immediately or do I have to observe the 2 year wait for these as well.Unfortunately this illness can be connected to other as yet undiscovered conditions ,would I be covered for them or would they be deemed connected to the original.Finally I am in the process of getting pre approval from Laya for the surgery on the Nhs I wonder is this a straight forward procedure or has anyone experience of this.Thanks

Last edited:
amadan1000,

Welcome to AAM. According to the Health Insurance Authority, there is no upgrade waiting with Laya for any outpatient benefits. The 2 year
waiting relates to inpatient only. Scans + bloods etc would come under the outpatient heading so they would be covered, regardless of the
connection to a pre-existing illness.

Regarding undiscovered conditions, with a connection to an underlying pre-existing illness, you would need to check this type of query with
Laya as its a specific medical question. As with any impending/future treatment or surgery, its always advisable to confirm what level of hospital
cover applies according to your plan (public or private or hi-tech) or if there is a waiting time still to serve.
Note; the consultant submits a medical report to the health insurance provider, relating to the surgery/treatment performed giving relevant details
required as part of the claim. So if there is a connection with a pre-existing illness, it will come to light at that stage and may not be covered
if relevant waiting times are not fully served.

I have no experience of getting approval for surgery in another country, maybe other posters can enlighten.
Best of luck with everything.

Snowyb

Thanks snowyb your information has been very helpful.I will relay my experience of the surgery abroad as I go through it.It may be useful for someone else in the future.

Back