Placing an offer on a house

Elana10

Our house is sale agreed, contracts signed on both sides etc and due to complete by the end of the month. We have a place to stay rent free until we find a suitable house to buy. We have just made an offer on a house thats just recently (last month) gone up for sale. We offered €10k less than the asking price which we feel is reasonable. I know that there are no other offers at the moment. The seller (an elderly woman) is moving in with family, although keen to sell asap according to estate agent. So Im just looking for advice on how to proceed if the agent comes back and says too the offer is too low, or they want to wait to see if they get better offer as its not up that long etc. I dont want to end up bidding against myself iykwim. Houses in the area are slow to sell if they need work doent on them but seem to go sale agreed quickly if house is not in need of modernisation etc. This particular house is in between in that its quite spacious but in need of some modernisation in parts. Thanks

You put in your offer based on the perceived value of the property to you. Don't be hoodwinked by an EA, or anyone else, into offering more than you think it's worth. Tell them you're a cash buyer with no chain and can complete quickly (allowing for surveys etc). Say it's your final offer and expires in 7 days.

Say it's your final offer and expires in 7 days.

By all means say this if you mean it. If its a bluff the EA will have heard it a thousand times before and it doesn't help your credibility in case of further bargaining down the line.

Back