Placing a condenser dryer in a wooden shed

windo77

I plan to place a condenser dryer in an outdoor, wooden shed.

The shed does not leak when it rains (its waterproofing has been strenuously tested in recent months).

Do I need to insulate the shed?

To ventilate the shed, is it sufficient to open the door of the shed when using the dryer?

What other considerations should I take into account?

I dont think it would be an issue. I used to have a condenser dryer in an apartment a few years ago, never had much condensation. Leaving the door open should give it good ventilation.
It developing a fault, overheating at setting the shed on fire would be the biggest danger, but the same could happen if it was in your kitchen!

Condenser dryers are more expensive to buy than vented dryers and cost at least 10 % more to run them. Go for vented!!!!

I just bought a drying shed, where the clothes can be hung and then dry in the vented shed sides/no door, felt roof. Only €236, 4ft by 4ft. No good however if u needed the clothes in a hurry.

Interested to hear that about the efficiency of both types of driers landlord. I was aware of the difference in the initial cost. I am thinking of getting a drier to put in my (block) shed too windo77. I was contemplating getting a traditional type because I had a condenser one for about the past 8 years and although a good make, I don't think that clothes every properly dried in it, unless it was on for ages. I was thinking I'd have to drill a hole in the shed wall to allow the vent to pass through it, as the shed has no windows......maybe I should just get a window put in the shed......I've just moved into the house so I can put it on the every expanding list of things to do!

Last edited:
I have a condenser in our shed (8x6) for the past 12 months. Used on a regular basis. Never had any problems with it with regard to overheating or anything. One thing I did notice was there is a lot more creepy crawlies in the shed now than before I put the dryer in there so obviously the extra heat in there must be attracting them.
On another note, if you do ever had a fault that would require someone calling to repair don't mention that its in a shed as I'm sure this could void any warrenty that you might have. I don't think manufacturers had sheds in mind for normal day to day use of the dryers. Bring it indoors if you can during the repair call.

Can i ask is it a big job to set this up? Ive a large wooden shed i would like to put a drier in. What do i have to do to get the electricity sorted? Clueless!

Back