Physical Share Certs

telephonebox

Hi there,

I have a bunch of 20+ year old physical share certs that I'd like to digitize (~45 certificates belonging to myself and 2 other family members, 15 or so each).

The broker that issued them to us is now out of business.

I'd like to digitize these certs and transfer them to a low-fee broker like Interactive Brokers or Degiro.

Questions:
-What is the cheapest way to digitize my family stock holdings?
-Some of the stocks (i.e. Ryanair) have undergone splits since my original certs were issued. Do I need to contact Link Registrars to re-issue new certs before I'm able to digitize my holdings?
-Ultimately, my goal is to sell some of the non-performing assets and put the money in a US Index Fund / ETF. Is this advisable as an Irish consumer, or will we get destroyed on tax?

Many thanks

The normal online brokers won't touch them.

Davys will dematerialise them for you i.e. accept the share certs and move them into a digital holding. You could then switch that to de Giro.

If you have CRH shares, it has already been done by the company.

Yes, you will have to find out exactly how many shares you have. Ryanair won't simply replace missing certs. They will require an indemnity for doing so.

Brendan

Thanks Brendan. Yes, I have CRH shares.

Regarding Ryanair...I have my original share certificate, but dividend slips from the last time they pay one show my holdings have doubled. I'm assuming this was due to a stock split. I don't think Ryanair ever sent us new certifiates reflecting the split. Will Davy need me to contact Ryanair's registrar and have new certs issued, or can the registrar provide the information needed without having to re-issue certs?

Reason I ask is I am currently in contact with Link Registrars performing a dividend reconciliation exercise. While I have them I might as well get all the information Davy will need.

OK, so if you did nothing your CRH shares are now with Computershare U.S.A.

It is awkward to sell them or transfer them, so you should get that process underway now.

Brendan

I don't think Ryanair ever sent us new certifiates reflecting the split. Will Davy need me to contact Ryanair's registrar and have new certs issued, or can the registrar provide the information needed without having to re-issue certs?

I don't know. I thought that Ryanair did issue share certs but they might not have.

Check with Davys to see what they want. There might be some process whereby you authorise Davy's to contact Link directly.

Brendan

Back