Photograph to digital

becky

I have the lovely job of arranging the memorial card and the anniversary announcement for my late Dad.

It's a hardcopy photograph we have chosen.

So I need to get it digitised, I think that's the correct term.

So how do I do that? Do I just walk into a printing type place with the photo and get it sent to my email?

Thanks but no I have don't have a scanner not even a printer.

I am looking to just walking into to a place, telling them what I want and leaving with my goods.

Take the photograph into your local printers (Golden Pages job) and they'll take it from there.

Apologies for piggy-backing but my question is related. I was able to scan a photo to my PC and edit and print the image on ordinary printer paper but will it fade when framed? Do I need to print it on special photographic paper and also can I put photographic paper into an ordinary printer to print a photograph? Thanks

Becky, if you are getting the memorial cards professionally produced they will digitise the photo for you.

will it fade when framed? Do I need to print it on special photographic paper and also can I put a photographic paper into an ordinary printer to print a photograph?
Yes, Yes and what printer is it and what does the manufacturer's manual/website say? You will certainly need photo paper and you may even need special ink.

Becky, if you are getting the memorial cards professionally produced they will digitise the photo for you.

If this isn't the case and you're doing it yourself, the easiest way to get a digital copy is just to take a photograph of the photo you have. If it's carefully lit to ensure no glare etc. and if you've access to a good camera you can get surprisingly good results with minimal post-processing (to crop to the original size etc.).

you don't need to get it digitised yourself, if you send a physical copy of the photograph to the people doing your cards, they'll do it for you. That's what we did for my Dad a few years ago and it turned out fine.

Thanks all for the replies, much appreciated.

While the photo was settled upon, my brother has now suggested that an old newspaper photo of my dad on the back of the card would be nice. The quality really isn't great, left in drawer folded up for years. Will this be as easy to digitize also?

Very difficult. Of all the images to try and digitise, newspaper photos are probably the biggest challenge in terms of getting a decent result.

You could consider contacting the newspaper to see if they still have the photo on file.

An easier option is to take a photo of the photo with your phone and use the editing software that's probably instaleld already to crop it and change contrast and virbancy.

That's what we did and it printed out very well.

Back