photo id/proof of address request letters

Bridget1984

You know the way the banks, credit unions, an post have been writing to their customers the last few years asking them to resubmit photo id and proof of address. Has anybodys account been blocked for ignoring this ?

Yes they do, my own credit union account was suspended until I produced the id again even though it was a relatively new account.

This whole ID thing is a racket and does nothing to stop money laundering etc. Banks get away with any sort of bad service once they invoke this documentation excuse.

There’s something in the law that requires a refresh after a few years but I don’t know the exact rule. Pain in the neck but they have to do it.

It is a total pain alright as the honest account holder is asked to jump but the real criminal who it is supposed to be aimed at will not be bothered by this process. It is a fig leaf law to pretend that something is being done to effect laundering of money.

It is a total pain alright as the honest account holder is asked to jump but the real criminal who it is supposed to be aimed at will not be bothered by this process. It is a fig leaf law to pretend that something is being done to effect laundering of money.

No, the logic behind it is that it forces criminals to resort to forged documents and the resulting paper trails of such forgeries can be highly useful to investigators compiling cases against such operators.

Well my experience of trying to help out the Guards is patchy. I was selling a machine once when I was contacted by the professional thieves who wanted to come and buy it via the dodgy bank draft. I went straight to the guards and ask to speak to detective as I know the serious crime lads are always chasing these people. I offered my sale and the contact as a possible help but the guard looked at me and said that they,the criminal had done nothing wrong. When I said that the moment they handed over the dodgy draft then is that not a crime. To say a light bulb flicked on for a moment within the guard and then went out was the reaction.

Back