Photo Book Company recommendations please? Parent's 50th Wedding Anniversary

jan

Hi all, my folks will be 50 yrs married Oct 2nd - we wanna make a photo book (hardback, with pics and descriptions etc) for them as a pressie - something with a traditional feel as they are both in their 80's.. to anyone who has made similar in the past (a photo book) or knows of someone who has, any company recommendations, please? I assume on line, but I live in Cork - so could use one locally either.

I used snapfish for my Dads birthday. It worked really well. I did think some of the photos were a little too red compared to the originals but no one else commented.

I put his family tree on the front - ancestors, and his descendants at the back. And I got all his family to sign it on the day. I got several copies made, one for each sibling so everyone had their own memento, which I got printed after the party so I could include a few pages from his birthday celebration.

My Dad loved it but it took us a good few months to find some early photos from his life and identify date and time. My dad was into sport and we had a few newspaper clippings which I added to the background on some early pages. I included my parents group wedding photo, and then a smaller version with numbers where the heads were and identified all the attendees in some text. (It was a bit depressing, most were dead!). I did try to identify everyone in each photo, and for all the grandchildren to give them equal billing, but some of my siblings produced very few photos of their kids with their grandad.

The old black and white photos scanned really well. Some of the 70’s colour ones not so good, and I got one of my kids to digitally repair some photos, which she did on her iPhone. Checking and double checking the layout and the special effect was very time consuming, but worth it.

@Clamball thanks a million for that.. wow - you went to so much effort... everyone musta been delighted with it.. not sure i have the time for that - but will defo give it a good shot - have gathered up a lot of pics.. twill be hard for sure.. some are deceased etc.. but twill be great to have - have used Snapfish for printing pics so familiar with the company.. will suss it out for sure

If you are having a party or similar event; see if you can create a display of all the old photos for everyone to see as they arrive.

Wedding photographer here. For my personal / documentary projects I use blurb.com. Fantastic quality books and service. Designing is easy to do with a quick turnaround times. Please bear in mind that low resolution images will not print well and will be pixelated. Upload the highest resolution pictures you can find for best results.

Ps. I always do a search online for blurb discount codes to use before finalizing my order. You'll regularly save 10-20% on your order by using these.

If you want cheap and cheerful you could always to a Harvey Norman photo centre with images on a USB and get books printed there.

@jan I've used a few of these over the years - what I've found is the quality of the photograph and the quality of the paper it's printed on makes the real difference...
I've used aldi.com / photobox.com and tictakphoto.com.

I found tictak the best in terms of quality of product, but with any of them, there is a lot of work in getting the photos in place and laid out correctly, or maybe I was just very fussy :)

thanks for all the replies... I am looking for a company that will make a v good quality book - like red hardback - dunno the name of the material of the cover.. I have 6 weeks to do it.. any further thoughts based on these factors?

Wedding photographer here. For my personal / documentary projects I use blurb.com. Fantastic quality books and service. Designing is easy to do with a quick turnaround times. Please bear in mind that low resolution images will not print well and will be pixelated. Upload the highest resolution pictures you can find for best results.

Ps. I always do a search online for blurb discount codes to use before finalizing my order. You'll regularly save 10-20% on your order by using these.

If you want cheap and cheerful you could always to a Harvey Norman photo centre with images on a USB and get books printed there.
I like the look of Blurb.. the style of the books.. where are they based? I see the prices are in dollars?

that will make a v good quality book
Just make sure you go for "hardback" & then I guess an A4 size... the number of pages is up to yourself - depends on the number of photos you have...

Are your photos in digital format or do you need to scan any photographs ? If you are scanning, go for the highest possible resolution on the scanner... it'll be slower, but quality of pic will be better.

Reactions: jan
I've used Blurb and would recommend them. They print and ship from the Netherlands for non-US shipments. You can pay extra for expedited shipment if needed.

@Jazz01 a mix of digital and some will have to be scanned.. thanks for that.. what kind of prices have you paid for yours? hardback ?
@tiv @Defacto how much approx have you payed on Blurb? hardback or otherwise?

@jan - being a few years ago when I got the hardback, it was around the €50+ from what I can remember. All depends on the number of pages you have in the book itself.

There are offers out there, sign up for their email, you'll get sent on some "offers"... re tictakphoto - you could try "Summer33" as a valid code - that's in their latest email to me...

@jan I just looked it up for you. I paid $54 for a hardcover book with 116 pages (premium lustre paper). They offer 50% off on Black Friday. I waited for the offer.

@jan I just looked it up for you. I paid $54 for a hardcover book with 116 pages (premium lustre paper). They offer 50% off on Black Friday. I waited for the offer.
wow how long did it take to get to you?

Hi Folks, had a go as some of those websites and I decided against.. gonna scan pics and lay them out on word and send to a print company that my cousin used.. twill be less stressful I hope..
But scanner not working - have discovered an app that scans photos called Photoscan by google photos.. works v well it would seem but read some reviews and some say that the when printed the quality is poor as the DPI is only 72.. the design hse say they need a DPI of min 300.. but the min size of the pics is 250 KB - up to 1-3 MB....
Thoughts? based on the size of the photos, would they be ok when printed or should I just go and buy a new scanner? TIA

@jan If you scan in at a low resolution, then put into word (pictures will be future reduced in quality), then send off to be printed - the quality, especially for larger pictures will probably be poor.

Are you having issues with the websites online software ? Some of them have a download that will allow you to do it locally on your home computer and then upload the photobook for order processing.

@Jazz01 thanks for your reply..
I am only gonna lay them out in word so that the company know the layout.. I will be sending them the pics as jpegs.. so they can print them out...
So, this is how I'm doing it so far - using my phone to take pics of photos then upload on macbook photo... any pics I can't take with phone due to reflections etc I am gonna use the app
The resolution of the pics from my phone seem v good - better than with the app..
Re: the websites - they just scared me.. like I said = I am not v tech savvy..

Back