Phonewatch v Homesecure v Action24

Portia

I'm coming to the end of a house build and will be moving in soon. I'm looking at alarms systems for the house. I want a monitored system and don't have the skills or time to install it myself. I am not a fan of Phonewatch - the fact that in my current accommodation I was easily able to negotiate a €15 a month deduction in their fee is a minus, not a plus in my book - but it seems to be what most people in my area use. I would be interested in any advice about other companies such as Homesecure and Action24? All views /advice gratefully appreciated.

If you mean - app notifications, i got a HKC wireless alarm installed a few years back, annual monitoring aka - notifications to app, is €67 per annum on the HKC SecureComm app, but probably not the same as the more hands on active monitoring you mentioned.

PhoneWatch are the most expensive supplier out there. Look on here for other threads, but their technology is outdated and restricted so that you will never be able to shop around for an alternative monitoring or maintenance services.

HKC and Siemens are the two most popular systems, and either can be maintained and monitored by any of the registered security services. If you're happy stating your location, you might get recommendations here, otherwise look up the list of installers in your are on the PSA list here, pick a few and get quotes.

Phonewatch are very reliable in my experience but very very very expensive and their app is truely appalling.

We use Action 24 and are a satified customer - we have not had any problems dealing with their accounting or servicing teams

Using Homesecure (Ajax white labeled System). Very pleased with the install,customer support and user experience to date.

You own the system after 3 years of them monitoring it. The system in my case is worth over eur300 of hardware not to mention the professional installation.

When speccing your system they will try to up sell more sensors, don't allow that to happen.
More sensors = higher monthly monitoring fee.

All you need imo is a sensor on each external door and a motion sensor in main thoroughfares in the house and maybe a motion sensor in a room with higher risk of entry point.

Donny buy the key fobs off them, but take them if they're free. The fobs are susceptible to inadvertent pressing and setting off false panic alarms or arming the system while others are at home. We just use ours now as panic buttons in the bedroom. We use the app exclusively to arm and disarm. Works perfectly every time.

Phonewatch are expensive, and have annoyed me a couple of times, for various reasons, over the last 15-20 years.

However, you can negotiate a discount, if you already have them, and unless I'm mistaken, I think they are the only provider that provide a monitored service over fixed (telephone) lines, which is a consideration, if you are in an area with poor mobile phone coverage.

I keep hearing that ‘Verisure’ are good.

This is something on my list of things to tackle when I have some bandwidth.

Long list though!

All you need imo is a sensor on each external door and a motion sensor in main thoroughfares in the house and maybe a motion sensor in a room with higher risk of entry point.
The beauty of window inertia sensors is that the alarm will activate prior to the burglar gaining entry, in many cases putting them off.

I'm coming to the end of a house build and will be moving in soon. I'm looking at alarms systems for the house. I want a monitored system and don't have the skills or time to install it myself. I am not a fan of Phonewatch - the fact that in my current accommodation I was easily able to negotiate a €15 a month deduction in their fee is a minus, not a plus in my book - but it seems to be what most people in my area use. I would be interested in any advice about other companies such as Homesecure and Action24? All views /advice gratefully appreciated.
I wonder what you went with in the end and would your recommend - am looking into alarm company at the moment. thanks

What if you've moved into a house with a pre-existing phonewatch alarm. Can it only be used with Phonewatch or can you shop around?

What if you've moved into a house with a pre-existing phonewatch alarm. Can it only be used with Phonewatch or can you shop around?
PhoneWatch lock their systems down so that only they can monitor and you are unable to shop around for good value.

Recently sold a house with a Phonewatch alarm, it was a pre-req of the sale that we got it removed and Phonewatch came out to do so. It was very straightforward to organise.

Whichever company you go with, make sure you read and understand the Terms and Conditions.

Phonewatch seem to lock in their customers in a variety of ways where other providers are less strict. For example, they use proprietary hardware (or used to at least) whereas others don't e.g. Ajax or HKC systems.

Phonewatch automatically renew you for a further 12 months on the renewal date under their current customer contract.

Homesecure seem to be a bit fairer to the customer.

The service shall begin upon installation. Unless otherwise stated at time of sign up, the contract shall have an initial service period of 12months. At the end of the initial service period, the contract will be renewed automatically and continue to be in force until terminated by any party with a 3 months’ notice period which shall upon notice commence from the next billing period. If the Customer does not want the contract to be automatically renewed, it must inform the Company no later than 30 days prior to the expiry of the initial service period.

After 3 years with Home secure you own the alarm outright. If you cancel before this you pay up to €400 for the alarm but it reduces for every year you pay for monitoring.

I'm not with either of these companies but I'm considering Homesecure over Phonewatch.

Lots of TV adverts for Verisure, advertising an initial price of €19.90pm (looks like this is only for the first 6 months, then it's €39.80 pm).

For those of you using Verisure, hope are you finding the service? Any negatives to be aware of?

Thanks.

Making sure you do the wiring well. It can make the alarm run much better and is much cheaper to use than using wireless which will need batteries for ever. Run more wiring than you need. Do the same with speaker, ethernet and solar cable.

I have to question the value of any monitored alarm? Have seen a few in practice and all they seem to do is phone you if the alarm goes off and then phone another designated number. At best they might inform the gardai

I doubt any burglar gives a dam whether your alarm is monitored or not. Once in they are in, irrespective of monitoring. They generally get in and out. They are often opportunistic and will wait until a house is obviously empty.

If you have any alarm that goes off it is a deterrent. Do burglars stop and look around and investigate if it’s monitored or not? I doubt it. Do they answer the phone once inside to the alarm company? No.

Does a monitored alarm help in prosecution in any way? Unlikely.

Inmho the best value is your own set up with video cameras that record. That’s a deterrent when they see cameras. At least you have something tangible to provide the garda with.

My In laws was burgled years ago with a phone watch monitored alarm system. It was useless.

If they want in they will get in, alarm or not

If a burglar has to choose between a house with an alarm and a house next door without an alarm, which one do you think they will pick?

If both have an alarm, well it's 50/50

Back