Phone Unlocking?

Hi guys

I was wondering if anybody can suggest the best place to have a phone unlocked in Dublin. I'm living in Ranelagh so if there are any places in Ranelagh or Rathmines it would be handy but apart from that anywhere really in town would be grand as well.

The girlfriend is currently on Meteor Bill Pay and her contract is finishing at the end of the month. She is switching back to Pay As You Go but having been talking to Meteor they won't give her an upgrade on a new phone for 90 days after she is back on Pay As You Go. Her birthday is the start of July and I'm picking up a Sony Ericsson w580i but she doesn't want a new number so there is no point in buying it from Meteor. I was on eBay and they are about €130 before postage which is a tad expensive considering they are €150 here with the credit!!! Tesco are currently selling them for €99 so I was thinking if I pick that up and then just get it unlocked in a shop in Dublin it would work out cheapest. Is it possible to just unlock them straight away or would it have to be used for a certain length of time???

Thanks

What do the terms & agreement of the contract say about unilaterally unlocking the phone?

There are a few places in Moore St especialy downstairs in the new Moore St Mall at the Parnell St end.

Just check first that the w580i can be unlocked, some of the newer SEs can be a bit tricky.

if she is switching to pay as you go with meteor then she can easily ove her number to any operator keping the same number after the switch

I would say avoid the 580i. Mine is only a couple of months old and two of the keys are broken. I have to be without a phone while they fix a defect that's their fault! Google 580i and you'll find loads of complaints!

Hi, if its only for keeping her same number shes staying with meteor all the phone operators allow you to join there network and keep your same number.

i just moved from meteor ( was with them since they started up) i moved to O2..I was paying 20 euro for free texts to any meteor number with meteor.now when i top up with 20 euro with O2 i can text any network for free at anytime for a month.

so if it is just her number putting her off ,consider some of the deals other networks:)

Guys

Thanks for all the help. She wants to keep her number and stay with Meteor. Sorry I probably should have said that at the start. We were actually thinking of just upgrading my phone as I am on Pay As You Go with Meteor for years so I'll be able to upgrade so is it possible if I do that I will get the free credit but I can just give her the phone and she can work away with that???

Yes, credit will accrue to your SIM, however since you are both Meteor there will be no 'unlocking' to be done.

Back