Phone bill arrived 1 day before DD payment

bond-007

My phone bill arrived on Monday and the payment was taken the next day on Tuesday. Is this fair or proper? Seems a tad unfair to me.

Have you checked when the bill was posted?

As far as I know you are supposed to be notified 14 days in advance of a dd being activated on your account.

It is just possible the bill was lost in the post for this period.

Surely that is not my problem?

I have contacted Comreg and Talk Talk. Comreg say they have received numerous complaints. Apparently the bills are printed and posted in Sweden. There is no date of posting just a date on the bill which is 14 days prior to the DD date.

Talk Talk couldn't care less. They said if I didn't like it I could go back to Eircom.

AFAIK, if a party says they posted it on X and you say you didn't get it/got it late on Y date, it is An Post's problem of late delivery.

They shouldn't be posting them in Sweden to begin with?

It must be cheaper somehow to be doing so.

The envelopes are possibly stuffed elsewhere and then shipped to Sweden for posting.
It seems a very strange arrangement. If eircom started doing something similar there would be questions asked in the Daíl.

Under the terms of the direct debit scheme (set up by the Irish Payment Services Organisation), ,:

The Originator will inform the payer in advance of the amount and date of the collection. The minimum advance notice is 14 days unless the Originator and Payer agree a shorter period.

The originator is your service provider.

If I were you I would write to the provider, informing them of the tardiness in receiving the bill and reminding them of the terms of the Direct Debit Guarantee. I'd assume that this was a once-off (if this is the first time, it could have easily been delayed post), but remind them that all future debits must have 14 days notice as a minimum. Copy the letter to your bank manager and ask the provider to confirm they will comply with the terms of the Direct Debit Guarantee.

You can find more information .

The date on the Bill is immaterial. The onus is on Talk Talk to ensure that you get the agreed advance notice. When you signed up to pay by DD what did the contract say. It should have an adavance notice period included and you are then entitled to that notice period. The DD Scheme Guarantee should have been printed on the Direct Debit Instruction and should also state the advance notice period.

The reality is you never get the full 14 days notice. They always date their bills 14 days before the DD date.

Back