Phibsboro

singinvestor

I have been looking to buy in the Phibsboro area around St.Peter's Church off the new Cabra Road. I have been looking at houses in and around St.Peter's Road on Norfolk Road, Cabra Park, etc. It seems like a quiet area close to town. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks

I lived in Phibsboro for years and loved it. So near town and yet has a couple of decent enough pubs locally that you could go for a pint in if you didn't fancy town. There is supposed to be some major redevelopment there soon with a new shopping centre etc. Don't know what the time scale on that it. Some lovely houses up around Shandon. That's near enought to Norfolk rd if I remeber correctly.

I think the streets in and around there are lovely. Quiet but fairly central and well connected. My only concern on that side of Connaught St would be the stadium. It was due to be redevelped in a major way, but that process seems to have stalled now.

Great Western Square is very nice if you are looking for a small house, well worth a look. Not sure if anything is for sale there right now, but might be worth putting an enquiry letter through every door on the square.

Im biased cos I live in the area and find it great...very handy location and I find it very quiet. P'boro and Cabra shops closeby (good bakeries, butchers, etc) and town is an easy 20 min walk. Good bus links, though i never bother using them as its easier to walk most places. Nice streets and houses - the exact same as u find in more fashionable places in D6 and D4 but obviously far cheaper.

Any downsides? Lots of rental still about (esp on Cabra Park) - not noisy or troublesome in my experience but u get some unloved houses that dont do the streetscape any favours. Shopping centre is brutal (Tesco must be one of the worst I've come across) and everything has been on hold for the redevelopment. It will deffo be redeveloped once things pick up - the holdup was due to ongoing litigation. With a revamped shopping centre should come coffee shops/more places to eat (which are needed) and a more pleasant atmosphere in the village itself.

Dalymount isnt a problem IMHO- it may be hard to park when matches are there but thats only once a week after 7pm for a few months of the year.

PM if you have specific questions.

4 main areas of redevelopment likely in the phibs area
1....The old Smurfit factory site on St Mobhi Road (its been knocked so some work has been going on)
2....Phibsborough centre redevelopment. As previous poster said, this has been held up for a while.
3....Mountjoy Prison. All linked in with the superprison development at Thornton (Heath)
4....Grangegorman DIT campus (was going ahead last time i heard but has a fairly long timetline)

Considering where you are talking about the Grangegorman campus may affect you most.

There is also the
[broken link removed]
which shows the Luas upgrade via Phibsborough. But this is one of the lower priority Transport21 projects so do be surprised if it gets shelved.

anon473

Back