Peugeot 307

K

Kiddo

Anyone out there own a Peugeot 307? Would you recommend it?
Test drove one yesterday and seriously considering buying one but research on the net seems to suggest there is a lot of problems with them.

Good car, very comfortable, nice too drive.....but because it is french, there is an increased risk of reliability problems after a couple of years. Also it will suffer from faster than average depreciation espcially if you buy 'new'

Bought one 6 months old in 2002 - warranty valid until March 2003. Had to have two rear door locks replaced twice, once under the warranty, the second time was after it had expired and I had to pay. Have had the horn fixed 4 times - it just stops working and they can't explain why. The steering colum slides inwards if you press too hard on the horn! they can't explain this either!
The best one was when she was about 1 and a half years old - parked at Tesco to do the shopping, came out and she wouldn't start. Called the nice man from the AA who on hearing my female voice said 'must av left your lights on luv and your battery's run down'. Didn't leave my lights on and his battery charger proved that the battery was fine. Had to have the car towed to the nearest Peugeot garage - which happened to be Courtown, Co. Wexford - cost 120 Euro. They hooked it up to the computer and discovered that the on-board computer, in all new cars these days, had cleared its memory. They couldn't explain why and made out it was the battery thing again. Had to pay 280 Euro for the pleasure of having it re-programmed.
All sorts of bits of trim falling off around door handles etc. - also wet patch on floor on rear passenger side.
Needles to say, wouldn't buy another Peugeot never mind a 307.
Sister had a 206 - similar problems and a neighbour had a 206 which also wiped its own computer memory!

I bought one brand new in November and absolutely love it. I bought it from Paul in Bluebell Motors and it was €2K cheaper than the nearest competitor Liffey Valley Peugeot for the exact same car. Lovely car, got the alloys, spoiler, colured trims, the whole shebang. Very comfortable to drive and great driving position. Early days, but I am very pleased with it. Do not do much driving, about 6,000 mls per year. Probably a woman thing to do but I normally keep them for about 2-3 years and then get rid of them before the NCT comes.

I traded in my O2 Seat Ibiza and got a great trade in. Before that I had a 99D Peugeot 206 and never had any problems with that either, although I did not think the seats had great support. Bluebell Motors were great to deal with from a service point of view as well.

I think it could just be down to certain cars being lemons. My partner has a 03D Golf TDi and this has not started for him twice, leaving him stranded in town.

I know of one and it was a horror story, always breaking down. Stay clear . Get something reliable like a Honda Civic instead.

I was tempted to buy one when downsizing from a 406. However, although the basics on the 406 were reliable, I had lots of little niggly problems over the years I owned it. These all had to be fixed at (very) high dealer rates. As well as this, there was the inconvenience of having it off the road while these were fixed.

So, finally I decided against the 307 on 2 grounds (1) depreciation and (2) it only had a 1-year warranty.

In the end, I opted for the less-stylish, more boring but utterly reliable Toyota Corolla (which is actually quite good to drive).

Recommendations on garages (in Dublin area) for reliable servicing and where the mechanics cover the seats before sitting on them with filthy coveralls?

Back