Peugeot 206 is overheating - anyone know why ?

allthedoyles

Its a Peugeot 206 1.4 petrol , and the STOP light started flashing .
Then noticed that the temp gauge was at 90 degrees

The needle started moving up and down from zero to 90

It seemed to be low in coolant , so have re-filled this evening

Anyone any ideas -- I hope it aint the head gasket .................could it be just summer over-heating ?

If the stop light came on then STOP.

Get the car towed to a garage.

Could be the coolant pump stuck, a leak or something serious.

Main thing it not to drive it an inch.

I had same problem last year.... I had a leak in the radiator and it was eating coolant. Keep lots of coolant in car until u get it to a mechanic. Don't drive on it if the stop light is flashing as it can damage the engine even more. Not that big a job so don't be worrying too much.
Hope u get it sorted :)

Check inside the oil-filler cap - if it's mayonaissey in there the head gasket is gone.

If you are not losing coolant now you have topped up but the temp still fluctuates, it is likely to be a faulty thermostat. Not very expensive to fix.

Our Peugeot 206 has a smell of burning metal after driving a few miles. Plenty of coolant and water O.K. Very low mileage but need to replace battery every two years. Any thoughts?

Our Peugeot 206 has a smell of burning metal after driving a few miles. Plenty of coolant and water O.K. Very low mileage but need to replace battery every two years. Any thoughts?

leak in the heater matrix, try a bottle of radweld into the radiator or a complete egg minus the shell of course that will sort it but for how long i am unsure

That burning metal smell is probably the battery being overcharged. Get the Alternator output checked,it will need a new regulator. Is it blowing bulbs frequently?

leak in the heater matrix, try a bottle of radweld into the radiator or a complete egg minus the shell of course that will sort it but for how long i am unsure
Yea right!! In a model T Ford!! You must be watching too many Laurel & Hardy movies!!

That burning metal smell is probably the battery being overcharged. Get the Alternator output checked,it will need a new regulator. Is it blowing bulbs frequently?

Same thing with our car but no lights blowing. We were given a replacement battery from the garage after the first one went after a year but apparently it was not a suitable battery for the car. Battery since changed again. Could a problem like this lead to a fire?

Its very rarely a battery goes on fire but continuous overcharging won't do it any good. A simple voltmeter test across the battery terminals with the engine running will tell a lot. Get it checked.

I had one a few years ago. A stone got stuck in the fan, stopping it from turning and nearly toasted the engine. Just something else to look at if it's not solved yet.

Good luck!

Back