Petrol or Diesel

Shakespeare

Hi
Looking for some advice please.....
Due to back issues and looking for a little height in driving position, small children etc, I've been considering one of the following:

Hyundai Sante Fe
Peugeot 4007
Honda CRV
Ford Kuga
RAV 4

Now natural inclination is to go diesel for Co2 and mpg reasons particularly as not looking to throw money away. However, I keep seeing a mention here about DPF and associated problems.
This car will be the one used for the family - ie will have the car seats in it but is still unlikely to do more than 5-6,000 miles p.a.
Given that, is it not such a good idea to buy a diesel?

Thanks
S

Very hard to justify the extra cost of a diesal car given the mileage you'l be doing.

Thanks Mathepac and Mpsox
Can I ask, is that opinion primarily based on the additional initial cost of buying a diesel or other ongoing considerations also?

Ongoing considerations. As you have seen from other threads there are posters struggling to get diesels to work well in low-mileage situations, which they are not designed to do.

Another car you you might consider adding to your list of candidates is the [broken link removed].

Thanks for the suggestions but
Skoda Yeti - would prefer to buy 2nd hand, are they not new?
Peugeot 3008 - are they not all diesels?

To be honest you'll be hard pressed to find a petrol version of most with the exception of the Honda. There are a few petrol Ravs around buy having used one for a month and having 2 small children I would definately not recommend. There is just no space. The Honda is probably the best option. Used versions should be well minded and have low mileage . The Hyandai has loads of space and is a nice drive also but AFAIK only available in diesel not that thats a bad thing.

Thanks SOM42, very useful info. 2 small children here too and really like the Hyundai but as you say it seems to be all 2.2ltr diesel,
The Honda I do like also, pricey though for a petrol (given most people seem not to want to buy them anymore if at all possible - have to admit, feels a bit at odds with the times to be looking to buy a petrol SUV!!).

Back