Petrol Lawnmower problem

edadam

Hi,

This is a long shot but here goes. I have a Honda self drive petrol lawn-mower. I was mowing the lawn yesterday and grass got clogged up. To clear it I put the lawn-mower on it's side for a couple of minutes. When I righted it again it would not start (you pull a cord to start it), it spluttered but then stopped. Also black smoke came out of the engine but I think, and hope, this is because oil/petrol leaked onto the engine and it's burning. I have no idea why it won't start and was wondering if some bright person might have some suggestions.

Cheers.

I find lawnmowers to be tempermental creatures. I would try it again today, perhaps the engine was just flooded?

Thanks HennyPenny,

Tried that but alas no. Perhaps it's the spark plug but I have no way of checking.

Hello edadam
You're correct about the oil getting into the combustion chamber. The instruction book (if you have it) recommends to tilt the lawnmower one way only, usually in the direction the spark plug connection is pointing (away from you). Try this, remove air filter from top of carburettor and try starting again, this will allow more air in , may help, may not. Failing that remove the sparking plug and clean with a rag soaked in petrol. Refit and try starting again. There wont be any real longterm damage, but when it does start there will be a lot of blue smoke as the oil burns off.

Hi Carpenter,

Thanks for the info and I hope you're right. Is there a special tool I need to take the spark plug out ? The pliars I have won't do the job.

Thanks.

There is a special deep socket with a rubber insert to protect the insulation on the plug, used with a ratchet....

Managed to get my hands on the tool to remove the spark plug. Cleaned it with a wire brush and it works! Thanks again Carpenter. Great advice as usual.

Back