Petrol, Diesel or Hybrid ?

FranknMine

I'm planning to buy a new car to replace my 12 Passat diesel. I'm trying to decide whether I'll go for petrol diesel or hybrid. I cover about 30k KM per year so currently diesel is cheaper to run than a petrol. Living in a medium size town and commuting approximately 50km per day which is mainly country road driving. Dealers tell me that hybrids are not ideal for this as the drive is relatively short and not much braking so not much chance for the battery to be fully charged. Every month or so I'd take a long distance spin (300km +) so I'd consider EV out of the question for another few years until they improve the charging infrastructure.
One of the main factors to consider would be depreciation. I'd plan to change the car in about 5 years time. Diesels of course are getting bad press but I reckon it will take another few years for that to really hit home. Hybrids technology is constantly changing so anything I buy now will be very old technology in five years time and worth very little. Think I'm going to go with diesel..am I mad ?

There's been talk of disincentivising diesel due to the associated air quality issues, but it's likely to take our government more than 5 years to get around to making any significant changes to the tax structures.

Back