Other Pet insurance advice

cmalone

any advice- see one policy at 299 per annum and cheapest around 99 euro

Pedigree dog - microchipped, etc

what is typical cover that the majority have?

There are a few previous threads which might give some advice and this is one of them.

I have a definite preference for Allianz although as I have found out that when a dog goes over 8 you will be required to pay 35% of any claim and off the top of my head I think the relevant excess.

Vet and vet nurse have both said that Allianz are more professional to deal with because they have vet staff compared to the other companies who don't appear to do so.

The important bit is to have your dog neutered/spayed as dognapping is so common these days. Ensure also that the chip is registered to yourself and not just the breeder which is so common these days.

One of the things to keep an eye on is the "lifetime cover" clause.

With "non-lifetime cover", if your pet develops an illness, that condition is considered a pre-existing condition when renewing, so you'll no longer be covered for it. The premium tends to be cheaper for this type of insurance.

With lifetime cover, the illness will continue to be covered. The premium is more expensive for this type of cover.

It's a bit of a gamble, your decision might depend on the breed of dog (if there are specific illnesses that it's susceptible to that could be expensive to treat).

Back