Personal tax advisor / consultant

Sarsie

Can anyone please recommend a personal tax advisor / consultant that won’t cost me an arm and a leg to talk to for an hour? My situation is that I’m a full time employee but have been offered additional work by a college tutoring once a week which I’ll have to cover my own taxes for. In truth I don’t know where to start to put this in order, or have any idea of what expenses are acceptable to claim back against this tax paid. I would like to get everything above board so I figure to pay a professional for their advice may be money well spent in the long-run. I'm in the Dublin 6 area. Thanks in advance!

Can anyone please recommend a personal tax advisor / consultant that won’t cost me an arm and a leg to talk to for an hour?

The people behind moneydoctor.ie offer a free consultation. I have no first hand experience so can't give a personal reference but it can't do any harm to have a free chat with them.

John Lowe - the Money Doctor - works for Providence Finance – a firm of independent, authorised advisers for mortgages, insurances and investments. To learn about their services and to obtain product and planning advice that is tailor-made to your needs contact Providence Finance direct. Click here.
From all the information provided it does seem to be independant and given a fairly good reputation (John Lowe's name will frequently appear on financial matters) I'd assume the advice should be of a fairly high standard.
No specific reference to issues of taxation, but I'd assume it'd be part of the course for people in this sort of position to be able to advise on this sort of thing.

No specific reference to issues of taxation, but I'd assume it'd be part of the course for people in this sort of position to be able to advise on this sort of thing.

I wouldn't assume that to be the case to be honest-the OP is looking for self-assessment type taxation advice, as opposed to tax efficient investments etc.

With all respects to John Lowe, he is neither an accountant or a tax consultant. This person needs tax advice, not advice on mortgages, insurance or investments.

ps posts crossed!

It is highly likely that the Revenue will have got to this College.

The Revenue usually insist that this is PAYE. Ask the College as a starting point. I would be surprised if its otherwise.

In which case expenses 'wholly, necessarily AND exclusively' incurred would be allowed. In practice this might be very little.

(I dont agree with the Revenue treatment, but there you go).

I would be surprised myself if someone doing part-time tuition work would be incurring that many expenses that wouldn't be covered by the college?

Thanks for the response so far. The college head quarters is in Dublin, but the location I'll be tutoring is near naas, so I could probably argue that my milage to there is an expense. I've been told by the college I'll be earning a flat rate "X" amount per night. My other worry is that once I meet a tax consultant they'll advise I should be charging them X+VAT. Definatly need to sit down with someone clued into these matters. Thanks for the link CCOVICH - I'll hopefully find a suitable advisor there.

For what its worth, VAT is never chargeable on training or education services. On the other hand, it is highly unlikely that you will be able to claim motor & travel expenses - certainly not mileage.

Also I would suggest that your best bet by far in sourcing an advisor is to get recommendations from friends or family. Picking a name out of the phone book is inherently risky as there is no guarantee that the advisor you choose will be suitable to your needs. Picking a name from the AITI website is riskier still as most AITI consultants operate on a much higher level, in terms of technical detail and fees charged, than would be typical of queries such as the above. The only analogy I can think of is looking through a list of surgeons when one has a sore throat.

Oh Great - that sounds like really good advice but now I'm more confused than ever!! So, this is my final appeal - does anyone have personal experience with an income tax consultant that they could recommend? I really appreciate all the comments so far.

Are you being paid PAYE or not?

If you are, I dont think you will be able to claim mileage on the basis that f you could we would all be doing it.

If its not PAYE, you could claim 'incurred' expenses but dont confuse this with civil service rates. Self employed DONT get them.

As mentioned there is no VAT issue.

Back