Personal Pension Plan -early retirement ill health, PAO

Netty1

hi there,

Not sure if I'm in the right forum - My partner (self employed) divorced a number of years ago and ceased paying into a personal pension at the same time but he had been paying into it previously for a number of years. His divorce decree does include terms relating to this pension and the transfer of same into the name of his wife (remarried soon after the divorce). I haven't seen any Pension Adjustment Order so don't know percentage or dates - but it would appear to be full transfer/100% from the consent agreement.
His health has now deteriorated (at age 56) and he can no longer work and was hoping to cash this pension in to help his finances. Of course the insurer has raised the question of the PAO. The divorce papers have a typo so the pension number doesn't correspond (by one digit) with the actual policy number and a solicitor has advised him that the insurance company will more than likely argue that the PAO still stands as the intent was there, and no other pension plan exists with them.
I suppose my question is - is there any way that he can fight this? It seems so unfair that his health has broken down and the financial plan he put in place for just such a circumstance will go in it's entirety to his ex wife?
Any help or info much appreciated to try and placate a very stressed maneen......

I can't see how he can undo the PAO. It was part of the settlement that he agreed to when he divorced his ex-wife. You really need to get details of his PAO. The solicitor who handled his divorce will have a copy.

Steven
www,bluewaterfp.ie

Thanks Steven, I think he's holding out hope that the typo on the Divorce Order means the PAO might not be valid but I don't think that's going to be a runner unfortunately.........spose the only other option is to try open negotiations with the ex-wife and see if she's willing to compromise in some way (they're on reasonably good terms).... Anyway, thanks a million for coming back to me, much appreciated.

Back