Personal loan for wedding

Everyone's situation is hugely different - I have a big Bridezilla spreadsheet at home - I can mail you a copy of rough-guides to figures 2moro. Probably not for this forum though so if you prefer I'll PM you.

No problem. In answer to one of your questions though we're only having a small wedding. Approx 25 church and meal. Gonna have a party that evening for friends and family.

Unfortunately photographer, church, musicians, wedding party clothes and accessories, band don't charge based on numbers attending. So the only cost savings on a small wedding are the meal itself.

€1,000 per head? I could kind of see how that was possible if you were splashing on a load of extras, but you're not.

Plant - why bother with such a comment? Do you just come on to these websites to patronise people looking for advice or have you anything at all of assistance to add.

Am after getting a very big shock - we are / were considering getting married next year and we have a fairly large close family so leaving people not an option. €24k for 25 people?? think i will stay "living in sin" as it seems to be a much cheaper option.

NicG,
can I make suggestion: would you think of renting a wedding dress? Or better still have a look in McElhinneys in Athboy you will be glad to know their sales are on around now. My friend bought an amazing dress for €500 (reduced from €3500) - plant is obviously single!

Also if you are thinking of getting a DVD of the day - I really wouln't bother as you will only look at it once - a good photographer is worth it though...

Good luck:) P

As NicG said
Unfortunately photographer, church, musicians, wedding party clothes and accessories, band don't charge based on numbers attending. So the only cost savings on a small wedding are the meal itself.

Therefore for 125 people you could be looking at only approx 4000 EUR more (based on meal costing 40.00 EUR per head for 100 extra people)
The main things as outlined by NicG will still cost the same no matter how many people invited!! The joys of paying for a wedding!

Plant - why bother with such a comment? Do you just come on to these websites to patronise people looking for advice or have you anything at all of assistance to add.

I would just echo other posters views that you should cut back. You say you have, yet you're still spending €1,000 euro per head. Sounds like you're getting very bad value for money. Then again, we don't have the figures that you're using, so we're none the wiser really.

The one thing I wouldn't do is borrow such a large amount for a wedding. It's a large repayment (more than most people's mortgages!) over a medium term and may end up leading to problems getting further unsecured loans in future. I would do everything possible to cut back enough so the either the loan amount is smaller or nothing at all.

Also, asking for a cash gift is not a good idea, imho. If I was invited to a wedding where a cash gift was expected, I plain wouldn't go.

Pinkybear,

Not getting the videographer - I'd only spend the day trying to avoid them. Already got a dress - and like your mate got it on sale.

Every little helps eh.

No problem. In answer to one of your questions though we're only having a small wedding. Approx 25 church and meal. Gonna have a party that evening for friends and family.

I might make some savings then, not having church, musicians, or band....... :)

I would say your biggest outgoing is on the reception/ food.

Have you paid a deposit yet? Can you re-locate to an alternative location? Go to a swanky restaurant and reserve a section of a nice pub for the party afterwards?

I do understand how costs accumulate so I completely empathise. But I do feel it's an expensive day for 27 people.

You don't feel like eloping??! :)

Yeah - they're defo things that will take a large chunk off the cost. Another thing that creeps up is the costs associated with bridesmaids and groomsmen - between renting suits, buying dresses, wraps, shoes, jewellery, hair, makeup, gifts.

There was a big debate on the radio few weeks ago about how much people spend on their wedding. One guy on it kept banging on about how two years later all his friends were still going on about how great his day was and how flashy, best wedding ever, etc but not once did he ever mention his love to his wife. Thought it was hilarious, he was more concerned about what people thought of his day rather than marrying his bride. Anyway....

NicG - surely there must be more ways to save some cash? I think you are mixing up what you want with what you need. You should seriously think about changing some things as that is an obscene amount of money to spend on a wedding with a meal for 25 guest and a party afterwards. My cousin had a wedding in Dublin in August this year had a meal for 125 people in a four star hotel, had a band, a dj, photographer, videographer, harpist and singer, three bridesmaids, and a honeymoon for a week in a 5 star hotel and it didnt even cost her €20K. I think you are being ripped right off.

But I hope your day goes well for you and you sort out your finances in time. Let us knwo how you get on.

OP,

Just reading this thread, you are getting married in Dec at a cost of €35 K for 25 people, with no cake, no dj, no rented cars, no flowers???? And you want to get into debt for 5 years for this? As a previous poster said, living in sin is a much cheaper option!!!

I know the price of a wedding in Ireland in madness but this seems crazy. I know everyone has there own ideas of how they want to spend their day and everyone is entitled to this, but I know, personally, there is no way I'd spend this on one day and get into debt for it. I'd much rather spend €35 k on paying off some of my mortgage.

Even at the price of weddings etc €35k (24K on the actually wedding day) is crazy for 25 people with no cake, dj etc...........there has to be a cheaper way.

[*]To clarify - wedding (Ireland), honeymoon booked, invites sent, ring bought, incl flights home for siblings travelling (5,300).
[/LIST]

Wedding appears to be €18700 not the €1000 per head of €24000.

Several off topic posts ranting about the original poster's wedding plans/budget have been deleted. Please stick to the core issue.

Just wondering is there anyone in the family that could help out with a loan so you dont have to repay it straight away?

Hope you have a lovely day

Back