Personal Injury claim

S

stephenO

Hi,
I read the other post similar to this trying to work out how much an iinjury needs to be compensated for. I ahve a slightly different question.
I was in a crash where I suffered neck injuries, I put in a claim to the PIAB, the insurance company have offered me a figure and given me a date to accept it by. From the book of quantum on the PIAB site I was expecting roughly about 20% more.
Are the insurance company approachable, ie, so if I ring them and say I will accept a slightly figure or how does it that work? I really dont know much about this.

The figure is usually negotiable - I know of a few people involved in similar crashes who have negotiated a higher figure than originally offered by the insurance. The insurance company will always try to get a lower payment at first so there is no harm in asking, all they can say is no!

not from my own experience but a friend of mine was told by her solicitor in relation to an offer from an insurance company that he piab in 90% of the cases award more money. Hence the reason the insurance company is eager to settle.

not from my own experience but a friend of mine was told by her solicitor in relation to an offer from an insurance company that he piab in 90% of the cases award more money. Hence the reason the insurance company is eager to settle.

Ok, I rang the PIAB.

When the PIAB get all your info ,they write to the insurance company who have 90 days to make you an offer (assuming theyve accepted liability).

The offer, if made, can be taken up by the claimant or amended between the 2 parties any time within those 90 days so I can ring up and try to get more or go back to the PIAB and tell them I want them to assess, if I do this the insurance comany have to agree to this assessment as well.

If they dont agree then it goes to court.

So the 90 days can be viewed as a bargaining window between the claimant and the insurance company, which answers my question, thanks for replies.

one of the reasons why insurance companies like to settle before piab make an assessment is because (as I understand it) they have to pay piab as well approx €1,500 for its time and expense.

so if they can settle it beforehand without the need of piab, no additional payment

True, and there is the old adage that time is money and this is certainly true with insurance companies. The earlier they settle the more money they save.

Back