Personal financial retrenchment: Practical ideas welcomed

Re: Personal financial retrenchment

Check that you have the proper level of house insurance, I know that this is discussed in detail on another thread, which is worth having a look at. I am no expert, but it is worth making sure that the level of cover is right, and this could save you money.
As others have said, shop around. I notice that Dunnes, for example, are making a bit of an effort now on prices. I also find that Boots own brand products are generally very good, and good value.

On the house insurance - remember that building costs have gone down, therefore you might be able to reduce the required cover and so then premium.

Other savings:

Do you need the monthly mobile? I think I would only top up by €20 every 8 weeks, but pay €30pm.

Unpatrotic, but go north and stock up on beer, deteregents, baby stuff etc. Beer is 1/2 the price. Try not to drink it all at once though!

Online sites for car insurance - 123.ie. insure.ie and chill.ie etc. I saved over €300 on the insurance co quoted premium

Just came across this thread. This is what we've done and surprisingly it hasn't really hurt!

Cancelled sky sports, watch important stuff with friends, much more fun!
Cancelled second sky subscription, got a freeview box instead and use a tv repeated in the bedroom.
Am slowly weaning us off Sky. Only paying half what we were.
Am reading more!
Cancelled AA - have free call out with insurance, and OH with car!
Changed all insurance, house (revalued rebuild cost), cars (devalued)
Swapped electricity to Airtricity (I know BG is cheaper still but feel we're doing our bit for renewable energy)
Got cheapest cheapest broadband package, we only surf and email and use Skype/Fring for ALL international calls, National and local included with package.
Use mobile for mobile calls on network FREE off network included in bundle
Walk to shops/ no gym membership/cut out excess foodie treats.
Drink at home/with friends/ Entertain at home
Cancelled inclusive text with mobile don't use 100

Anyone think of something I've missed!

Could somebody tell me what Fring is? (Sorry for my ignorance). Is there a cost associated with it?

I bought a espresso machine in Aldi for e50 and make my own latte before work.I save 2.55 a day (over 500 a year!)

Back