Personal / Car Loan.

D

ddelaney

Hi folks,

I'm looking to borrow around €6 - €7,000 for a new car, and was hoping you could advise re the cheapist leander. Is the Creidt Union still the way to go, or are banks as good??

What about this new on-line banks??

Any feedback would be greatly appericated.

No bother.

Word of warning: financial institutions will try to sell you payment protection insurance on these type of loans. Only take it if you feel you will need it, it adds significantly to the cost of the loan.

also tesco afaik only offer fixed rate loans which means you will pay charges if you choose to repay early

CCOVICH said:
By online banks I presum you mean Norhern Rock or Rabo? Neither of these offer loans to the Irish market.

Check out this thread http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=13126&highlight=loan

Best rate for that amount of money is probably www.tesco.ie

Also check the Best Buys section of this site

just wondering if the best buys list is fully up-to-date.

See this from Indo site, unison.ie
requires registration.

Thursday September 15th 2005

BROKER Simply Mortgages has denied claims that low rates on its new personal loans may be fleeting.

The broker is providing loans supplied by lender Permanent tsb at better rates than PTSB gives its own customers.

On a typical €10k borrowed over five years, Simply Mortgages cuts a full percentage point off PTSB's 8.9pc rate, to give a standard variable rate of 7.9pc.

Of course, National Irish Bank's new rate cut to the lowest known rate of 7.5pc on the same loans makes the Simply Mortgages-PTSB debate academic.

The substantial cut from NIB's old rate of 8.1pc is, a NIB spokesman said, a small indication of the kind of cuts the bank will make in the next six months.

Undercutting competitors is, he explained, "the only way NIB will grow market share."

David Crimmins, marketing manager with Simply Mortgages, rebuffed PTSB's claim that the broker's rate was merely "a loss leader" while it was "trying to establish [itself] as a provider or products other than mortgages."

Mr Crimmins countered, "the Simply Mortgages rate is not a tactical loss leader. The only reason we would move it up is if the ECB rate goes up".

Since the rate is not a tracker, which must be priced in line with European Central Bank movements, there would be no legal impediment to Simply Mortgages changing it at will.

But Mr Crimmins stressed: "We have no plans to change it."

Contrary to its name, Simply Mortgages has just broadened into providing personal loans, having previously extended its role from being a broker of mortgages to one selling home and travel insurance, and now term loans.

In other areas, such as home insurance, Simply Mortgages has undercut the provider so that it and not the insurer makes the ranks of those listed in our Good Buys table.

I'd say worth checking out the NIB

also check out the various main dealers. some manufacturers offer interest free on new cars at various times during the year. As long as you are not set on one particular make and are open to picking the 0% model, you migth score.

If the NIB rate is indeed 7.5%, that appears to be pretty good (if it is available to someone looking to borrow €6,000). ptsb offer 6.9%, but I think that's only for new cars. One thing to watch with personal/car loans is that the lender always quotes the most attractive rates in any advertising. This rate will be based on an example that might be totally different to what you're looking for, and hence you will pay a higher rate.

Ravima: Have you really come across 0% car finance in Ireland? If so, I'd be interested to hear where, and what the terms were?

CCOVICH said:
Ravima: Have you really come across 0% car finance in Ireland? If so, I'd be interested to hear where, and what the terms were?

I have seen those zero % ads too CCOVICH - if my memory serves me right I think it was an Opel ad and was something along the lines of a 50% deposit with the balance financed over 3 years at 0%.

I found BOI reasonable and you can repay early without penalty on the variable rate.

demoivre said:
I have seen those zero % ads too CCOVICH - if my memory serves me right I think it was an Opel ad and was something along the lines of a 50% deposit with the balance financed over 3 years at 0%.

Yeah, maybe I did see something like that. The 50% deposit makes it lose a lot of it's attractiveness, that's probably why I don't remember it to well.

The 50% deposit makes it lose a lot of it's attractiveness, that's probably why I don't remember it to well.

Get a personal loan for 50% and get the rest interest free from the showroom.
Sounds like a good idea to me.

Of course it's over 3 years (although the 50% loan could be longer).
You'll possibly limited in terms of which model you can buy.
You'll almost certainly pay more for the car than if you were buying with cash.
And the extra amount you pay is probably as much or more than the
interest you're supposedly avoiding.

Always do the maths.
Never pay payment protection.

-Rd

Back