Permanent tsb - the best value bank?

Darth Vader

I have recently changed my credit card to P.Tsb. They charge 9% interest on the Ice Visa as opposed to 18 or 19% charged by AIB and Bank of Ireland. Now I am considering changing bank altogether.

I got a bank charges statement from AIB not so long ago and the charges for withdrawing money from ATM's and direct debits and internet tramsfers are fairly high.

Is there any bank out there that doesnt charge for transfers etc? Do p.tsb charge, and it so, do they charge less than AIB?

Darth Vader said:
I have recently changed my credit card to P.Tsb. They charge 9% interest on the Ice Visa as opposed to 18 or 19% charged by AIB and Bank of Ireland.
Ideally the rate charged on any credit card should be irrelevant - i.e. you should be clearing your balance each month before interest charges kick in. Medium/long term credit on a card is generally an expensive way to borrow money.

To answer your question, without pontificating :rolleyes: , i think it's pretty certain that the PTSB account charges/fees on their [broken link removed] product will definitely be less than AIB, or almost any other bank in Ireland.

Darth Vader said:
I got a bank charges statement from AIB not so long ago and the charges for withdrawing money from ATM's and direct debits and internet tramsfers are fairly high.

irishpancake said:
To answer your question, without pontificating :rolleyes:
If you're referring to my comment above please tell me specifically where you consider that it contains anything that is not useful, prudent and relevant advice. For more on comparative bank charges see [broken link removed].

yes your advise is extremely useful and prudent, not sure about relevent in this case as it did'nt exactly answer Darth Vader's question about current account charges.

ClubMan said:
If you're referring to my comment above please tell me specifically where you consider that it contains anything that is not useful, prudent and relevant advice.

irishpancake said:
yes your advise is extremely useful and prudent, not sure about relevent in this case as it did'nt exactly answer Darth Vader's question about current account charges.
I consider the comments relevant since DV also mentioned credit card charges and suggested that these influenced the decision to switch banks. I certainly don't consider my comments pontification in any way so I don't know why you felt it necessary to make that seemingly snide and definitely irrelevant comment above...

You asked what i considered was not useful, prudent or relevant in your advise. I gave you an answer. The fact that you consider it relevant is really irrelevant. It has become your mantra, always giving this particular advise when someone even mentions credit cards, in whatever context.

ClubMan said:
I consider the comments relevant since DV also mentioned credit card charges and suggested that these influenced the decision to switch banks. I certainly don't consider my comments pontification in any way so I don't know why you felt it necessary to make that seemingly snide and definitely irrelevant comment above...

The interest rate is relevant whenever you cannot afford to pay off the entire balance on time. If this is happening regularly then it's not a good idea to keep the credit card. However as a short term measure it's useful. Certain cc rates are now below overdraft rates.

NIB have 'Freebank' account similar to ptsb's Switcher acoount. BoI also offer 'free' banking although it is more restrictive than ptsb's offer.

You might consider asking AIB if they are willing to waive or reduce their charges or you will move your business elsewhere.

irishpancake said:
It has become your mantra, always giving this particular advise when someone even mentions credit cards, in whatever context.
Reiterating this piece of advice (in this case in the context of a query that specifically mentions differences in credit card rates between different financial institutions) makes it no less relevant.

Back